PDA

View Full Version : EOS 300d

MobstaJ
01-18-2005, 10:43 PM
I'm really considering this camera but it seems as though it's time for a replacement by now. What do you think? The new rebel in 2005 or later? I'll probably end up waiting for it.

ReF
01-21-2005, 06:03 PM
i was thinking the same but I decided to buy the rebel now because there were a lot of nice pictures(rainbows, sun rays breaking through clouds, etc) i took with the a80 that i really wish i took with a dSLR. the rebel replacement won't be out for another 1-2 months and i really didn't want to wait that long. when i does come out it will probably be $999 and $900; i got the rebel body for $625 after the $100 rebate. I was considering the 20D which is way more money (double the cost of the rebel body), I also read many people saying that the difference between 8mp and 6mp really wasn't that big at all. ultimately i decided that a two month wait + $275 more for an 8mp(my guess) new rebel wasn't worth it. heck, i could barely afford the rebel and lens set up I purchased ($1400, waiting on $250 rebates, etc.) and I still have to get a portable hard drive (at least another $200) to store all those RAW files when I'm away. I guess it comes down to how much you can afford to spend and if you are OK shooting with what you have now.

TenD
01-21-2005, 06:33 PM
The Rebel is a bargain right now with the rebates (ending Jan 31). If you buy it and two lenses off the list you will get a triple rebate on the Rebel ($300 off!). The new model, if there is one, may or may not be what you are looking for. If you purchase now, you wll be taking pictures much faster. I bought the 10D at the end of the cycle and I am still happy with it. I was able to buy nice glass to compliment it and I will wait at least one more cycle before looking for a new camera. My 10D does everything I need it to right now.

MobstaJ
01-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I probably would have purchased the rebel by now if I had any money. I'm a broke college student. I use the "I'm waiting for the new 300d" excuse all the time but in actuality I wish I had a DSLR. My S45 takes really good pictures but nothing compares to the sharpness of those SLR's. I love the low light capability too, with my current cameras, iso 400 is pretty much unusable in low light, with the rebel and other high end cameras 1600 still looks pretty good.

By the sounds of jeff's taunting in his New things brewing post, we'll be seeing some cool new stuff very soon.