PDA

View Full Version : Stacking filters

durkhrod chogori
09-15-2008, 01:58 AM
I got a Hoya ND400 filter and was thinking of adding a 2-stop graduated ND filter. I got two questions:

1. How to avoid vignetting at the lower end of the zoom (my lens is a 17-50mm)?

2. What grad. ND filter would you recommend me for good results without having to spend a lot of money because some are quite expensive?

Thanks in advance.

TheWengler
09-15-2008, 02:43 AM
Either your lens will vignette or it won't. I don't think there's any way to avoid it if your lens already prone to vignetting. I can use a polarizer and a Cokin P filter holder on the front of my 16-45 lens w/o vignetting problems (assuming the holder is on straight). I've had problems with that set up on other lenses though. Are you adding a square or rectangle GND filter?

durkhrod chogori
09-15-2008, 02:48 PM
I will add a HiTech filter with a Cokin Z holder (haven't placed the order yet). Sorry but I don't know whether it is a square or a rectangle filter.

TheWengler
09-15-2008, 03:23 PM
If you need a holder then the filter is a rectangle. I don't think you'd need more than the Cokin P sized holder though (up to 82mm lenses). I've had some problems with HiTech giving me a magenta color cast, but others have found them just fine. You can also get square ND filters to go in the holder.

toriaj
09-15-2008, 04:18 PM
I use the Hitech (http://http://www.2filter.com/prices/Hitech/HitechP.html) 85/P Gradual ND 1.2 Hard Edge neutral density filter, and I highly recommend it. It fits the Cokin P holder, but I just handhold it in front of the lens, voila, no vignetting! It's a rectangle, and the completely dark part of it is large enough to use as a regular neutral density filter if you want to.

durkhrod chogori
09-16-2008, 03:55 AM
Thanks for your replies.

TheWengler, are you sure I won't have vignetting issues in 17mm (Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens) by stacking a ND400 and the 2 stop grad with a Cokin P holder?

I need the holder because I want to take long exposures, above a minute, and hand holding that long won't work.

Thanks.

TheWengler
09-16-2008, 11:59 AM
TheWengler, are you sure I won't have vignetting issues in 17mm (Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens) by stacking a ND400 and the 2 stop grad with a Cokin P holder?

Nope, I'm not sure. I've had a lens that vignetted at 18mm, but my current lens at 16mm doesn't vignette. It depends on the lens.