PDA

View Full Version : I need help choosing the right digi for me

kaykay
08-07-2004, 11:27 PM
The biggest must have on my list is image quality. I want good clear pictures. True to life, bright colors. My mil upgraded & gave me her Olympus Camedia D-350L 1.3 mp , I really like it as far as it being easy to use and seems to take the picture as soon as I push the button(no lag time). However I just had some pictuers developed and the prints were not as good as I had hoped for. Honestly my cheape 35mm produces better pictures.

# 2 Just as important I don't want to miss those once in a life time shots. I need a camera that takes the picture as soon as I hit the button, NO lag time. Too many pictures of the back of heads in the past! I am not professional, but I am a scrapbooker and I take a lot of pictures and want them to be as good as possible.

#3 Want a descent zoom lens.

I really don't want to have to figit with a lot of extra camera features. Most of my shots are spur of the moment and I just want to point and shoot.

Would love to hear any suggestions, maybe a top 3.

D70FAN
08-08-2004, 08:35 AM
The biggest must have on my list is image quality. I want good clear pictures. True to life, bright colors. My mil upgraded & gave me her Olympus Camedia D-350L 1.3 mp , I really like it as far as it being easy to use and seems to take the picture as soon as I push the button(no lag time). However I just had some pictuers developed and the prints were not as good as I had hoped for. Honestly my cheape 35mm produces better pictures.

# 2 Just as important I don't want to miss those once in a life time shots. I need a camera that takes the picture as soon as I hit the button, NO lag time. Too many pictures of the back of heads in the past! I am not professional, but I am a scrapbooker and I take a lot of pictures and want them to be as good as possible.

#3 Want a descent zoom lens.

I really don't want to have to figit with a lot of extra camera features. Most of my shots are spur of the moment and I just want to point and shoot.

Would love to hear any suggestions, maybe a top 3.

You need to give us a price range. Here would be my consumer picks in Low, Mid, High.

Canon A75 - Low cost, 3X zoom, about $250

Panasonic FZ10 (wait for the FZ15) - Middle with Big Zoom (12X) and Image Stabilization. Most fun for the money. $500

Olympus 5060WZ - High middle - 5 MegaPixel, quick, has a nice wide angle 4x zoom 27-115. (about $700)

Canon Digital Rebel - High End, digital SLR, relatively fast. $1000 with an decent zoom lens.

Nikon D70 - High end, digital SLR, very, very fast. $1300 (with a nice 18-70 zoom lens).

Note that the dSLR's do not have a movie mode, but are superior in picture quality. All of these cameras, and all digital cameras in general have an "auto" setting which makes them a point-n-shoot.

I'm sure that you will get a lot of opinions here, so I always suggest that you go down to the local camera store and give them a try, because everyone has different wants. And all we hope to offer is a starting point.

kaykay
08-08-2004, 10:01 AM
Thank you for your honest opinion. I will go check out the one's you mentioned, and will keep these in mind when I visit the local camera store. I like the idea of the Olympus camera, my mil works for Olympus, not in cameras though she set up lab equipment for hospitals. Regardless she gets a healthy discount on Olympus cameras, so that one might be worth leaning toward. Do you know if it has a delay from the time the button it pressed and the time it actually takes the picture. (sorry I am not good with termanology)I just want something fast no lag time, and picture quality that of a 35mm or better if that is possible. Thanks for your help.

D70FAN
08-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Thank you for your honest opinion. I will go check out the one's you mentioned, and will keep these in mind when I visit the local camera store. I like the idea of the Olympus camera, my mil works for Olympus, not in cameras though she set up lab equipment for hospitals. Regardless she gets a healthy discount on Olympus cameras, so that one might be worth leaning toward. Do you know if it has a delay from the time the button it pressed and the time it actually takes the picture. (sorry I am not good with termanology)I just want something fast no lag time, and picture quality that of a 35mm or better if that is possible. Thanks for your help.

If you read the reviews on the Oly some give it kudos and some don't. That's why you need to try several cameras. I added it to the starter list for the wide-angle capability. Personally, I liked it, but I always gravitate toward cameras with a good wide-angle zoom lens.

Of all the cameras out there the Panasonic FZ series have really caught my fancy, because even with their (minor) faults they are fun cameras to use. I own a Nikon D70, but if I were to plunk down my money for an all-in-one the FZ10/FZ15 would be at the top of my list. You can always add a wide-angle adapter lens later.