PDA

View Full Version : A Successor to the Canon S-1 this Fall?

speaklightly
08-07-2004, 09:46 PM
08/07/2004

We noticed this week that the list price of the Canon S-1 was suddenly dropped by $US 100. Perhaps this is a forerunner of an impending change. One of the larger Camera Shows occurs in October to introduce new models for the Christmas market. It would seem logical that Canon would want to move out the remaining S-1 inventory prior to introducing a new and improved version of this excellent digital camera.

What do you think?

Sarah Joyce

John_Reed
08-07-2004, 11:22 PM
08/07/2004

We noticed this week that the list price of the Canon S-1 was suddenly dropped by $US 100. Perhaps this is a forerunner of an impending change. One of the larger Camera Shows occurs in October to introduce new models for the Christmas market. It would seem logical that Canon would want to move out the remaining S-1 inventory prior to introducing a new and improved version of this excellent digital camera.

What do you think?

Sarah JoyceSarah Joyce, you may be onto something there. There was a sneaky little "New PowerShot" post the other day where the link to the "real" info (a French site) was snatched away by the "Powers that be" before any of us mere mortals could steal a look. Wouldn't be too surprising; Canon announces lots of new cameras!

bka314
08-08-2004, 04:02 AM
I have seen that (since ghostly disapeared) page showing the G6. If it's not merely a ghost (I mean a game of a hacker or something) the new cam has a 7 Mpx sensor - so what? Give us a G6 with 5 mpx, but with IS instead of the extra 2 mpxs!

About the price drop... too big competition, and the S1 is only 3 mpx (you know, for most folks it's very-very important). So they had to lower the prices - you only know how excellent camera this is when you have used it for a while.

About the S1 successor... what can they improve on this excellent camera?They will insert a larger sensor, maybe even make a jump to 5 mpx. Ok, but I feel fine without that. Maybe they will put MPEG4 videos, good for nothing. What they surely won't put is the only thing I'm missing from the S1: RAW...

Rhys
08-08-2004, 08:24 AM
I have seen that (since ghostly disapeared) page showing the G6. If it's not merely a ghost (I mean a game of a hacker or something) the new cam has a 7 Mpx sensor - so what? Give us a G6 with 5 mpx, but with IS instead of the extra 2 mpxs!

About the price drop... too big competition, and the S1 is only 3 mpx (you know, for most folks it's very-very important). So they had to lower the prices - you only know how excellent camera this is when you have used it for a while.

About the S1 successor... what can they improve on this excellent camera?They will insert a larger sensor, maybe even make a jump to 5 mpx. Ok, but I feel fine without that. Maybe they will put MPEG4 videos, good for nothing. What they surely won't put is the only thing I'm missing from the S1: RAW...

A follow on from the S1 could have more megapixels, more ISO settings and perhaps a slightly longer zoom. Maybe 12x. On the whole I have no critiscisms yet of the S1 as I haven't really had time to investigate its potential fully. It was plonked into my hands almost 2 weeks ago and I had to use it and drive and so on almost immediately so I switched it to automatic and left it there.

Jeff Keller
08-08-2004, 09:45 AM

What do you think?

I think it's not gonna happen... :cool:

speaklightly
08-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Well, Jeff,

You are the oracle. I appreciate your input very much. So much so that I ordered a Canon S-1 this afternoon for our digital camera lecture series which we do on cruise ships every year. It would be fun to discuss your cruise series versus our. Perhaps we can co-operate??

Sarah Joyce

Jeff Keller
08-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Well, Jeff,

You are the oracle. I appreciate your input very much. So much so that I ordered a Canon S-1 this afternoon for our digital camera lecture series which we do on cruise ships every year. It would be fun to discuss your cruise series versus our. Perhaps we can co-operate??

Sarah Joyce

My cruise series?

speaklightly
08-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Yes, Jeff,

Once or twice a year you do a digital camera lecture series on a cruise ship. Usually with Carnival Cruise Lines. Well, I too am a cruise lecturer as well. We present the copyrighted "Digital Cameras Made Really Easy" series.

It is designed for the first time digital camera user. By utilizing a five part lecture series, we walk newbies from the very beginning all the way to exposure compensation. It has been very sucessful and we usually cruise 11 months out of every 12 months each year.

Sarah Joyce