PDA

View Full Version : New to digital cameras, what causes this and what setting to use?

HomerSimpson
08-28-2008, 11:13 PM
People I bought a Sony T1 camera, it was like 500 bucks when it first came out so it is not a cheap camera. This is the problem, for example say someone is jumping up and down and in mid jump I take the picture. Well the pic comes out and it has that "trail" effect. There is motion in the pic. Do you understand what I mean, if not I can post a example. It does not have the image stabilzer option, so I thought my hand was shaking or something, but it was not. I read somewhere that it said to use sports mode, and I tried it but the pictures were completely black because it was on the inside, and I am not using a flash. What do you think? Heck it has to be a setting I can change, because I have also a cheap camera and it does not have the "trail" motion effect around the pictures that I take with it.

TheWengler
08-29-2008, 12:22 AM
You're limited by the light you have. What kind of light are you shooting in? To stop motion you need to elevate the shutter speed. This is what a sports mode does. But if there isn't enough light to shoot at the high shutter speed then the picture will be dark. You can also raise the ISO or open the aperture to let in more light, but if the picture is dark then those options are probably maxed out. I'm not familiar with the camera with the camera so I don't know if you can change those things manually or not. The cost of the camera is pretty irrelevant.

S_p_i_d_e_r
08-29-2008, 02:21 PM
As Wengler said you have to play with shutter speed to freeze movement in your pictures. Unfortunately your camera is a full-automatic one, so you can only use sports mode to freeze motion. Not a very good camera for creative photography :(

James DeRuvo DHQ
08-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Another thing you can do is use your flash. Even in sunlight. It'll freeze the subject in action and make them pop. Also, pan with the action. This will help you to keep track of the subject and make them hover where you shoot. Also, prefocusing (pressing your shutter half way) will lock in the focus so it doesn't have to do that when you snap the shot.

HomerSimpson
08-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah I tried sports mode and maxed the iso at 400 and still the pic is way to black. Well there has to be someway.

TheWengler
08-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Yep, shoot in better light.

S_p_i_d_e_r
08-30-2008, 03:13 AM
Yep, shoot in better light.

Or get a better camera :D