PDA

View Full Version : 400D vs 450D and 450D AF issue

clynt876
08-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi there,
I am trying to decide between the Canon 400D/XTi and 450D/XSi. From what Iíve read the only differences between the two models that really matter to me are liveview, an image stabilizing kit lens, battery life and camera weight. The price difference between the two models in my country is approx. USD190. Is it worth paying more for the additional benefits of the newer model, esp the liveview and IS kit lens? I am a student on a tight budget, so I'll be using the kit lens and wonít be buying additional lenses anytime soon. Does IS on the lens make a big difference?

Also Iíve seen many complaints about the AF on the 450D. How serious is this problem and do all 450Ds have it? Is this a valid reason not to buy the 450D?

Thanks for the help :)

24Peter
08-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm not aware of problems with the AF on the XSi - in fact, it seems like it's better than the XTi. For $190, I'd go with the newer camera. I think the IS kit lens alone is worth almost that amount.

GaryS
08-26-2008, 11:58 AM
I'd agree with Peter. I still love my XTi, but if I was buying now I would definitely get the newer camera. The new kit lens is better than the old one in every way.....

I've not heard any bad stories about AF on the XSi either...

FLiPMaRC
08-26-2008, 12:15 PM
I have not heard of AF issues with the 450D either, nor have I experienced any. :D

Between the 400D and the 450D, for that price difference, I would go with the 450D hands down.

For a student on a tight budget, have you looked into the cheaper 1000D? ;)http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1000d/

Rhys
08-26-2008, 12:34 PM
I have the XT (350D) and the 30D. I don't notice any AF problems with either. Sure - low-light focus is best when assisted by the flash or STE2. The trick with the XT is to use Canon lenses rather than independents such as Sigma etc. While the 30D will work happily with independents, the XT is a little fussy. It's not a bad thing though - Canon lenses knock spots off independents - why else do you think all the pros stick to Canon?