PDA

View Full Version : lenses and filter's??

trailrider894
08-24-2008, 06:52 PM
so i just bought a Kodak EasyShare Z712IS. and i was told to shoot outdoor stuff that i should get some lenses and filter's. i would like to know some recommedation's for the following shooting condition's.

Indoor sport's??

Indoor/Outdoor Portrait's??

Scenery (i'm going to the smokey mountain's. if that help's??)???

and last but not least, Motorcross ( dirt bike and atv racing) ???

S_p_i_d_e_r
08-25-2008, 12:12 AM
As your new camera is a fixed lens one, you can only add Schneider-Kreuznach XENAR 1.4x telephoto or 0.7x wide adapters (or any adapter that fits 55mm thread, like Raynox DCR series).

As for the filters, I recommend you to buy a circular polarising filter. Do not buy no-name brands, stick to respectable companies like Hoya.

Beowulff
08-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Spider has nailed it pretty well...

My only comment would be that you've already got a 432mm lens why then spend over $100 on a tele converter? The 0.7x WA converter is around $110, plus the necessary 55mm adaptor at $23.

In my humble opinion, it's just not economically viable to spend over $200 (in total for the three bits) for accessory lenses for a $300 camera.

Just my thoughts. :)

sw2cam
08-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Somehow I think you knew you had a fixed lens camera.........First, when adding the lens adapter to the Z712is you get the barrel effect, buying a WIDE lens for that rig is useless. So quoting prices on all three bits is as useless. I guess one would have actually had the camera in hand to know this, so making blind statements only proves how little they know. You can use any 55mm threaded long lens or filters you want to. Including the crap to be found on ebay. I'd buy the OLYMPUS TCON-17 part number 200862. Seeing you paid much less then $300 (if you live in the US) on the Z712is adding a long lens would not be a bad idea. Fact is the IS on the Z712is is very good. I have taken many HAND HELD full zoom with the OLY TCON added. Works very well for only $93 bucks from B&H camera

James DeRuvo DHQ
08-29-2008, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't mess with filters these days. Every effect can be accomplished in software and if you don't like how it turns out, it can be changed by with "undo." But a filter changes the image originally. The only exception would be a 1A Skylight for protection.

TheWengler
08-29-2008, 05:59 PM
How about the effects of a polarizer and an ND filter? You can't use Photoshop as a substitute for those.

sw2cam
08-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Not to mention the cost of PhotoShop. A cross filter runs from $15-$30 and one has many to choose from. Most filters are cheap and fun to play with, more fun then sittng in front of your computer photoshopping the results you want.

The "1A Skylight for protection" theory is useless because as stated above when adding a lens adapter one gets the barrel effect. Now if your never going to shoot at the cameras widest point then who cares.