PDA

View Full Version : going to the smokey's and rock city in september. need some advice??

trailrider894
08-21-2008, 08:45 PM
so i'm going to the smokey mountain's in tennese in september and i plan on visiting rock city (the place were you can c 7 state's from one place) and some other place's in nashville,tn like music row. and i'm wondering i'm pretty new to photography. but i really wanna get some tip's about taking picture's of scenery and stuff.???

kgosden
08-21-2008, 10:46 PM
September is a bit too early in the area for fall color, but the views should still be great. There are plenty of waterfalls and streams to capture assuming rainfall has been good. Cades Cove is a classic area for old buildings and meadow shots. You don't say what type of camera you are using or if you are willing to hike a bit. The best of the Smokies are the views from some of the high ridges. These two show why they are called the 'Smokies'. The first is a view at Charlie's Bunion on the Appalachian Trail. The second is from sunset near LeConte Lodge.

trailrider894
08-22-2008, 07:23 AM
well i don't have the camera yet cause i just can't find the right one in my price range. but i only want it to take scenery picture's. what kind do you have??

kgosden
08-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Those were taken with a high end point & shoot Olympus C5050Z. Any camera that offers manual controls would be best, but I am guessing from your post that you are not going to be ready to use those features just yet. I would highly recommend that you only look at cameras that offer optical image stabilization and have a lens that can go as wide as 28mm (in 35mm terms). For landscape work and indoor group shots a little wider will always be more useful than a little more reach at the telephoto end. Most of today's P & S cameras suffer from nasty noise at higher ISO's. Even with that I have been partial to the Panasonic line since all their cameras have stablization and most have a very nice wide angle zoom.

trailrider894
08-23-2008, 10:27 PM
and the camera is a kodak z712is. i apperciate any tip's you can give me just some basic stuff maybe??? and some adavanced stuff?? and what kind of lenses or filter's do you use??

kgosden
08-24-2008, 11:08 AM
From a quick glance at Jeff's review it seems that you can add a filter adapter. I would definitely recommend that you get this and a 55mm circular polarizing filter. The Smokies tend to be damp and lush, just the kind of scene that can benefit from that filter. Also, if you have not learned how to use your camera in manual mode go out and practice now! In shutter priority you will be able to shoot at 1/2 second or longer if you want those misty water effects. For that you might need to also add a neutral density filter to the front so that exposures are not too long for your minimum aperture which seems to be only F8.

trailrider894
08-24-2008, 12:40 PM
as in the misty effect on water fall's??? like in the pic below??http://visuallyminded.baltiblogs.com/archives/shenandoah_watefall1.jpg

ColColt
08-24-2008, 01:05 PM
While you're in the Smokey's(God's country) and around the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area, you don't want to miss Cade's Cove. It's an eleven mile scenic route that winds and winds and you can stop and get out of the car anytime you want to take pics. There's a lot of history there and reminds you of Deliverance country so beware!!:D

Moreover, if you're into stalagmites and caves, you may want to check out Tuchaleechee Cavern as well just a short distance from Gatlinburg in a little town called Townsend.

http://www.cadescove.net/

http://www.tuckaleecheecaverns.com/