PDA

View Full Version : Micro Four Thirds

Ken.
08-20-2008, 02:11 AM
Recently Olympus announced the new Micro Four Thirds system. My first thought was "Pen F slr". I have an E510, it's a great camera and very OM. Personally, I can live without the SLR part if the new Micro system makes the camera smaller and, most importantly, quieter.

Anyone have any thoughts on this new system? What happened to Leica? They're not in the press releases. Panasonic hasn't done much with dSLR's lately either. I'm not worried about Olympus. They're diverse enough to keep making interesting cameras.

Turn
08-20-2008, 02:47 AM
I like the sound if it really, it will create a whole new market really

Ken.
08-20-2008, 06:59 AM
If it can shoot RAW and doesn't use those limp XD cards I'll be right on it. My E510 is a fine camera but the size and noise are not handy sometimes.

Turn
08-20-2008, 08:39 AM
xD cards are unnecessary in my opinion

I just want to see how they'll balance this format without cutting the legs off the dSLR market...

Ken.
08-20-2008, 08:50 PM
I think there will always be SLR people and viewfinder people. For me, I need something a bit smaller to toss in a pocket yet professional. I was leaning towards the new LX3 but I'll wait for the new Olympus.

raven15
08-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Considering how much share Olympus has of the DSLR market, I'm sure cutting the legs off it is the least of their concerns. I may get one, there has been a time or too I felt my E-410 was too large with a decent lens.

Ken.
08-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Olympus is a niche player. Even in their OM days people didn't "get it". I had OM systems and people always commented on the size, handling and quality. Then bought a Nikon or Canon. The same holds true for the E series now. Olympus makes great cameras but their marketing is not brilliant.

Ken.
09-15-2008, 04:43 AM
OK, Panasonic released the G1. Any thoughts? I'm curious as to why Panasonic released first but, then again, they needed to refresh their high end line. I'm looking at the camera and my FZ8 and wondering if it's worth the fuss to carry an extra lens. The specs are great, though. I'm hoping Olympus goes in a slightly different and smaller direction. It's not all that much smaller than my E510.

raven15
09-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Looks pretty nice. The viewfinder might be useable, and the camera specs overall look great. I'd prefer it a little smaller as well, and maybe in an E-420 form factor. That 7-14 lens looks pretty nice, though it might be too wide for most uses. But for the right price, the lens itself could potentially sell the camera.

swpars
09-16-2008, 08:00 AM
A Micro 4/3rds camera with a 20mm f1.7 lens (like Panasonic has announced on their lens roadmap) may find its way into my camera bag someday, for when my DSLR + zoom is too large & obtrusive. Silent lowlight shooting with an articulating LCD would be a treat.

jekostas
09-16-2008, 11:26 AM
I would really like to see what Olympus does with the form factor first. I really would like a small, quick shooter that I could bring along with me all the time (as I'm guessing most people would) and these seems a like a damned fine start.

Ken.
09-17-2008, 05:31 AM
Hopefully the camera will be at PhotoExpo and Photokina. I tend to carry the E510 with both lenses which makes for a big chunk of camera. When that's too much I carry my FZ8. I was hoping for something in that size range. That Panasonic took me by surprise with it's price and package. I picked up the E510 with both lenses for less than what they are suggesting for a kit with one lens. The "silent" factor is important to me. Maybe I'm out of touch but the E510 seems a bit loud. It reminds me of my OM's with a motor drive.

jekostas
09-17-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm not actually that surprised by the price on the Panasonic - they do tend to be at the high end for interchangeable lenses.

As to your E510 being "loud", well, the focus motors on the current crop of standard Olympus lenses are kind of loud, so that may be it.

Ken.
09-18-2008, 05:00 AM
It's the mirror/shutter. I can set the system to manual focus and there's still a surprising amount of sound effects. I swear, I think they have a sound chip that sampled a motordrive film camera, much the way point and shoots make fake shutter sounds.

JohnKK
10-17-2008, 02:03 PM
I think mico 4/3 takes away from efforts towards improving Olys SLR sensors...... why go into a new line when you have so much room to improve relative to the competition in the SLR DR/High ISO noise area ?.....it also makes me wonder when there are no words at Photokinia about new SLR sensors if OLY/Pani has hit the technology wall with 4/3……don't get me wrong I love my E510 but the highlight DR is poor and I was hoping for at least 12 MP E3 sensor capabilities in the "tweener"

IMHO micro 4/3rds is just crap driven by the marketing division to sell more to the point & shoot masses....you won't see me at Future Shop looking for it...

In fact, its got me wondering if I should eBay all my lenses and make the jump to Nikon before the market drops.....pity though, love Oly colors.

raven15
10-17-2008, 05:11 PM
The 4/3 and micro 4/3 sensors are identical. Any development put into one goes into the other.

jekostas
10-17-2008, 07:09 PM
I think mico 4/3 takes away from efforts towards improving Olys SLR sensors...... why go into a new line when you have so much room to improve relative to the competition in the SLR DR/High ISO noise area ?.....it also makes me wonder when there are no words at Photokinia about new SLR sensors if OLY/Pani has hit the technology wall with 4/3……don't get me wrong I love my E510 but the highlight DR is poor and I was hoping for at least 12 MP E3 sensor capabilities in the "tweener"

IMHO micro 4/3rds is just crap driven by the marketing division to sell more to the point & shoot masses....you won't see me at Future Shop looking for it...

In fact, its got me wondering if I should eBay all my lenses and make the jump to Nikon before the market drops.....pity though, love Oly colors.

Exact same sensor, different lens format.

JohnKK
10-17-2008, 07:20 PM
same sensor...my point exactly.....

Instead of focusing on a new engine for the rocket, Oly seems to be focussing on builging smaller bodies for the old engine....I do not have any background in electronics but I wouldn't call that a move forward for photo quality.....

......minitureizing(sp) to get to the megapixel crazed point & shoot crowd can't be good for image quality.

raven15
10-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Well, if you are concerned about it, I suppose you could get a good price on a used Nikon D40x, and happily take pictures with the confidence that its sensor is just as good as that on the D90 and D300. In fact, they use the same sensor as the Sony A100, you could get a real bargain!

Ok, couldn't resist. But really, I'm not sure what you are after. The four thirds sensor is a size and aspect ratio. Nothing says sensors won't continue to improve at at least the rate as the competition. The new Panasonic micro 4/3 indeed has a 12mp sensor, and I think its a good guess it will be used in the new Oly cameras including the ... whatever its name is ... E-A1. I assume it will be also improve in noise and dynamic range. I thought I read at dpreview a rumor that the new camera might also have a new trick up its sleeve in regards to noise and DR, but then, rumors are cheap.

JohnKK
10-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Just concerned that late last year after much debate, decided to abandone/eBay my whole Sony collection (W1,W50, H2, T10, A100 c/w18-70mm) and make a large jump to Oly and 4/3rds...

....bought Oly E510 & Fl-36R flash; Oly lenses 14-54, 70-300 & 14-42 fitted permanently with B+W Grad ND filter for o/s landscape, Sigma 18-125mm walkaround......almost bought E3 but way to heavy.

My only concern was that relative to Sony....Oly DR well, is not nearly as good...while my indoor stuff is way better with Oly and takes little pp work...
outside, even shooting RAW and - ev and using filters is often disappointing.

(Say what you like about Sony but at lower ISO, there DR and editable JPEGS are excellent)

So my thought after seeing E3 was that E520, E5X0 would naturely have better DR/high ISO performance....not so.

My point is that micro 4/3rds seems to signal to me that we are at a wall with 4/3rds capabilities....hope I'm wrong.

jekostas
10-18-2008, 11:48 AM
My point is that micro 4/3rds seems to signal to me that we are at a wall with 4/3rds capabilities....hope I'm wrong.

I'm wondering how exactly you're coming to this conclusion. Wouldn't it be more likely that if Olympus is committed to using the same sensor across multiple product lines that they would want to make said sensor as good as humanly possible?
In this case, if a sensor is garbage it takes not only one product line with it, it takes multiple.

Margus
10-18-2008, 01:09 PM

Yes and no :)
I guess that you are right that Oly (and Panasonic too) got to the point that competing against the other players on the dSLR market was not a huge success. So they did the move of introducing the new type of "compact" camera with image quality at the same level as of dSLR cameras. I like their move! Bold one :cool:
I think that you are heavily wrong is stating that the 4/3rds capabilities have hit the wall with no more room for improvement, definitely not! 4/3rds is more or less a sensor size standard and the size is big enough for taking top quality pictures. Just wait for the next generation 4/3rd sensors and for the final reviews of the Lumix G1. You might be surprised ;)

JohnKK
10-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Yes...thats likely what I will do because I to am not convinced that 4/3 size can't produce better DR/high ISO results(especially when I see what Fuji has done with my F31fd).....when I say it seems lile they've hit a wall....I guess I mean corporate wise internally.....marketing department winning out for quick buck....rather than putting more into sensor R&D.....hard to say though because in any manufacturing setting its ying and yang......can't do more R&D w/o $ from marketing......but it just seems at most camera divisions these days marketing, megapixels & gimics is the entire game.

Take the recent Fuji F31fd & SD6000 for example...took a great sensor(only 6mp) and really abandoned it at least in North America market.....instead they quickly introduced much inferior F40-8 mp, no manual control.....probably sold a ton at Future Shop.

Okay...now I'm just rambling...you get my point.

Ken.
10-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I saw Olympus's new micro four thirds this week. Nice. Let's see if it comes in less costly than the G1. That price seems a bit high to me.