PDA

View Full Version : Fuji S5000 or Canon S5

Yobotagrapher
08-17-2008, 07:14 PM
I've been interested in the S5 since it came out. I was just about to purchase it from Amazon when they suddenly stopped selling it!!!!

I came on this site and saw the Fuji S2000 with 15X zoom and I'm really excited about it.

I've owned several cameras in the past (mostly Canon) but was wondering what everyone thought about Fuji cameras?
I know that there is no reviews about this camera yet, but what about Fuji cameras in general.
My main concern is picture quality. I want clear pictures!

Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S. I would love to get the S6, but I've heard nothing about it and I'm going on a trip in October and since the Fuji is coming out at the end of September, I thought I would buy it...thanks folks.

P.S.S. to answer the sticky about this question...

Budget
Not much of a concern, but don't want an DSLR...

Size

Does not matter
Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

Does not matter, but the I love the ultra zooms!

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual controls?
Nope, but have used them in the past.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
family photo's, trips, maybe a bit underwater

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
Never say never, but probably not...a 4X6 is good for me

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
Yes, this is a big thing for me.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
If taking photo's of my little kids driving me crazy counts, then yes, to sports shots!

AndyfromVA
08-17-2008, 07:54 PM
The Fuji S700 was a very popular camera but the S1000fd received a lot of criticism for slow performance and the absence of optical image stabilization.

The Fuji S2000 looks promising, as it has a long 15x optical zoom and has optical image stabilization, but until it's released and on the store shelves, we won't know if it's a substantial improvement over the S1000fd.

speaklightly
08-17-2008, 08:21 PM
In all honesty, the Canon S-5, equipped with a very nice hot shoe to use an external flash, is clearly the better camera. I got mine from www.newegg.com and it has really been great in every way. You will wait a long time and then pay a premium price for that new Fuji camera.

Sarah Joyce

jekostas
08-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Go with the S5 - it is a very capable camera and you should be able to get one relatively inexpensively since they're being discontinued soon.

tkbslc
08-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Lots of people just pick Canon because they are Canon and everyone else is doing it. I don't think it is such an obvious choice. The Canon has a cool flip out screen and a hotshoe for external flash. Although if you want a decent exernal flash, that will cost as much as the camera . The Fuji gives you a wide angle lens, HD video and faster shooting in burst mode (I think up to 13fps). Although the 15x zoom sounds bigger, it is actually 15x the wide angle lens of 27mm, so full zoom is actually maybe 5% less than the Canon. The wide angle is actually a lot more useful than an extra bit of zoom though. I think I'd pick the Fuji out of these two based on the wide angle and the HD video. It will likely be cheaper as well because Canons are generally overpriced.

KCook
08-17-2008, 11:55 PM
I owned a Canon S3, not all that different from the S5. Now own a little Fuji. I haven't had a chance to play with the S2000fd yet. So I was going to let this thread slide and bite my tongue. But my will is weak and I cannot resist ...

I guess I'm an odd duck in that I like both Canon and Fuji. Very much. In my view there is a zen difference though. The Canons are more friendly cameras, great for pictorial purposes. The Fuji are more technical achievements, "bring 'em back alive" kind of mission, versus pretty pictures. Different strokes for different folks. I would have no problem slipping a S2000fd into my case.

Kelly Cook

Yobotagrapher
08-18-2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks for all the advice on this matter.
I agree that most of the reviews of the 1000 scared me a bit, that's why I don't automatically put it on pre order at Amazon.
I have to make a decision b4 my trip to California in October so hopefully one of the local electronic stores will have it b4 my trip.
But seriously, I really thought EVERYONE was going to steer me to the S5. I'm glad to see that the some people like the Fuji and that it's a decent camera after all.
Decisions Decisions.....maybe my wife will let me buy both!!! Ha...yeah right!

Yobotagrapher
09-18-2008, 02:50 AM
Okay, SERIOUSLY, I was just about to press the buy button on Amazon for the Fuji S2000HD...I MEAN LITERALLY ABOUT TO PRESS BUY, when just for the heck of it, I thought I would check back on a couple of sites to see if a review had been posted for the S2000hd..lo and behold the Canon Powershot SX10IS is announced. It will be coming out after my trip, but man from what i see it looks awesome and worth the wait. I've read the arguments about aperture this and aperture that, but to be honest, I'm not a professional photog, and I probably won't be using all that technical stuff anyway. I do note that some of the criticisms put down the lens and I'm worried that it will impact noise and image quaility of shots (my main concern) so what do you think? For just a weekend point and shooter, is this the camera to wait for???? My other concern is that on another forum, a person stated that they had bought the Fuji S2000HD (he lives in Singapore...still waiting for a response from him) and he stated that there was a lot of noise in the pictures, so that's what made me decide to wait and see what others thought of my decisions...thanks for any help...KCOOK..seriously, thanks for the advice, your advice alone ALMOST made me buy a S2000HD...but now I don't know...

AndyfromVA
09-18-2008, 05:08 AM
The SX10 IS looks to be very similar to the S5 IS but with the new DIGIC IV processor, more MP but a larger sensor. We won't know how good it is until the reviews start to come in.

Meanwhile the new Panasonic FZ28 has been getting very good reviews. Plus the "older" Sony H50, Fuji S8100fd, Fuji S8000fd, Olympus SP570UZ and Nikon P80 continue to be available. Also Olympus and Kodak have promising new cameras in their SP565UZ and Z1015IS, respectively.

There are lots of interesting megazooms either out now or on the store shelves soon, which makes it hard to choose.

KCook
09-18-2008, 08:25 AM
A recent shopper tried the Fuji S1000, discovered excessive color saturation. The one test I found for the S2000 commented on the same issue. Now there are folks who like their colors super hot, but not many of us. So that new Canon is clearly a more desirable choice. But also $100 higher price. Whether a $400 purchase is inside your comfort zone is your call. There are other nice $300 cameras to consider besides the Fuji. Which would be fine for me. But once the bill gets up around $400 I start getting an itch for a DSLR. Different strokes for different folks.

Kelly

speaklightly
09-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Kelly-

Yes, I surely do agree that when the price inches up to around $(US) 400.00, the siren call of a DSLR gets a good deal more audible. I was hoping that the Panasonic FZ-28 would be more of an upgrade from the FZ-18. I have a Canon S-5 and it is an excellent camera if you can live with ISO's no higher than ISO 250. The hotshoe is a plus for me, and I make a lot of use of it.

We will have to wait and see what the reviews look like for the Canon SX-10. Here is a photo sample of what the S-5 can do when coupled with the EX-430 Flash.

Sarah Joyce

SpecialK
09-18-2008, 08:45 PM
A recent shopper tried the Fuji S1000, discovered excessive color saturation.

Nearly every camera has settings that allow you to fine tune the image to your satisfaction. Don't sweat the things you can change. And "a recent shopper" does not constitute the last word :-)

The Canon S3/S5 are not very good in low light/high ISO situations, however.

Yobotagrapher
09-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Kelly;
Actually, I would spend about $400.00 but no more on a PNS camera. I really don't have the desire to go to a DSLR (yet).
Though I would be willing to spend that much on ONE camera, I can't justify buying one now and then having to pick up the Canon if I don't like the Fuji after all. From what I read, most stores don't allow returns for electronic devices (without a defect or restocking fee of course) so unfortunately, there's no return policy for, " This camera sucks and I want another one."
I saw the previews for the Olympus UZ's and others and I was really interested until I saw the pricetag..more than the Canon's. Even the new Casio Exlim was interesting until I saw the price...:eek:
The sad thing is, I had an older Olympus UZ (550UZ I think) and out of all the cameras I EVER bought, I thought it shot the best, most clear pictures...the bad things about it was that it didn't have Optical Stabe, and it used oly's propriety memory card. I've bought a couple of cameras since then (canon, sony) but none matched the crispness of the oLy...but that was then and this is now.
I would have really loved to have bought the Canon b4 my trip but alas, I don't think it's worth my while to buy a Fuji 2000hd since the Canon seems to be (in my opinion) the better camera.
I will check out the panasonic for now...thanks for all the advice. No matter what I buy in the future, I'll try to remember to post my choice for those that might be in the similar situation that I am in.

Yobotagrapher
09-18-2008, 11:43 PM
SpecialK, unfortunately, I wouldn't know the first thing about ISO's and stuff. I just read the reviews and peoples personal recommendations and I go from there. That's why I'm kinda worried that the Canon won't be worth it, cuz on the DCPreviews site, alot of people are putting down the lens choice for the canon....my main question for you (if you don't mind answering) irregardless of all the technical stuff, will the new lens mean crappy photos for a person like me who would probably not mess with all the technical stuff anyway? I usually take 90 percent of my photo's on the "auto" mode and the main thing for me is picture clearness....thanks for any advice.

AndyfromVA
09-19-2008, 04:36 AM
If 90% of your photos will be in Auto mode, why don't you consider the Panasonic TZ5? It has a 10x optical zoom and very good picture quality. It lacks the manual controls of the ultrazooms but since you don't intend to use them that much (if at all), that shouldn't be an issue for you.

KCook
09-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Some stores do allow returns without fees. I bought a Sony from my local Ritz store. Their policy is no fee so long as the return is within 10 days. I did return the Sony and there was no fee, full refund, as promised. You get one guess which store is now my favorite. Though there may well be other stores without fees, I'm too lazy to check them all.

My best 35mm film SLRs were Olympus, so I'm fond of that brand myself. Too bad their digital cameras are not so faultless from top to bottom. They would definitely be on my short list for a SLR-like camera. Got my fingers crossed for their new M43 line.

For prints that are only 4X6, I'm very surprised the Canon and Sony cameras you tried were not so crisp as the Oly. Unless you were shooting at extreme telephoto. An ultrazoom at extreme telephoto is bound to be a bit down on contrast, compared to a dedicated (non-zoom) telephoto lens, or any zoom at its "normal" focal length.

Err, I just ran a search on that other forum. Found only one post questioning the lens for the SX10. And that was a theoretical question. My experience with Canon zoom lenses has been good. I would be very surprised if the lens on the SX10 was inferior to the competition. Especially for 4X6 prints!!!!!

In my view Andy makes a good point on considering simpler cameras if you're not going to use the advanced stuff on a SLR. So long as 10X zoom is enough, the results will be equally good. For the price of a top line SLR/ultrazoom you could buy 2 compacts, for different uses. Which is exactly what I did when I had to replace my stolen Canon S3. Got a sub-$200 ultracompact for now. Will pick up something with a bigger lens later, still not likely to be a SLR-like type.

Kelly

Yobotagrapher
09-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Andy, thanks, I looked at that particular panasonic, but didn't the review on this site claim that the focusing was a bit slow? I have three kids and I need a camera that can keep up with my hyperactive/super powered kids.

Also, Kelly, yeah, I agree with you about the canon and sony. Don't get me wrong, the pictures were fine, but when I compared them to the Oly, I (my personal judgement only) that they weren't as good.

I looked on http://www.dpreview.com/ and alot of people are putting down the Canon choice of lens..but of course, it's just a complaint based on what was released. Who knows hopefully it'll do better when it's professionally reviewed.

Thanks for the advice. It is all taken with great appreciation.

speaklightly
09-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Here is another camera option for you. How about the new FZ-24 ultrazoom? At $(US) 325.00, the Panasonic FZ-24 is now less expensive than either the Canon S-5, the Nikon P-80, or the Sony H-50

Sarah Joyce

Yobotagrapher
09-19-2008, 09:01 PM
SpeakLightly, thanks for the recommendation, however, I cannot find any reference for a FZ 24. Is this a camera that is not available in the U.S.?

Also, do all Panasonics use Quicktime as their movie format? I dislike Quicktime very much. Just a consideration when it comes down to choose. Thanks for the picture however, Very clear and crisp..just the way I like em.

S_p_i_d_e_r
09-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Sarah meant DMC-FZ28 :)

Yobotagrapher
09-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Dear Spider and Speaklightly, thanks for the advice. I'm just about 99 percent decided now on getting the Panasonic, even though I don't like quicktime.
It seems to be a great camera so I'm just gonna read a few reviews on it and make a final decision soon.
Thanks.

Yobotagrapher
09-20-2008, 12:56 AM
One question if you don't mind.
Does continuos shooting mean that the camera will take photos as fast as I can press the button until the predetermined number of shots have been reached? Does this work at night as well (since the flash is in use).
If this is the case, what's the difference between shot to shot cycle and continuous shooting..why is there a difference? Thanks in advance.

S_p_i_d_e_r
09-20-2008, 01:13 AM
One question if you don't mind.
Does continuos shooting mean that the camera will take photos as fast as I can press the button until the predetermined number of shots have been reached? Does this work at night as well (since the flash is in use).
If this is the case, what's the difference between shot to shot cycle and continuous shooting..why is there a difference? Thanks in advance.

Here's an FZ28 review for you:
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz28.php

Continuous shooting means that you press the shutter button and the camera takes as many shots as possible, without flash.

Yobotagrapher
09-20-2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks Spider!!!!!!

Yobotagrapher
09-20-2008, 02:36 AM
Well, I was all set to purchase the Panasonic from Amazon, until I factored in the shipping for all the so called, "free shipping" offers and the price comes out to almost $340-360. Amazon offers free shipping but then states that it won't ship for 1-2 months..might as well wait for the Canon to come out.
I really think it sucks that many vendors claim free shipping, but since I live in Hawaii, they charge expedited shipping upon check out only....can't they put something on the first page to state that they charge extra for outside the continental U.S....last I checked Hawaii was part of the U.S.
Oh well, back to the drawing board...I figure for the price, I'll wait for the reviews on the Canon to see which one to get....

pas49ras
09-20-2008, 04:31 AM
Ya..sucks living in Hawaii....:D

speaklightly
09-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Just for the record, I ordered and received a Panasonic FZ-28 camera just this past week. I received it on 09/19.

Sarah Joyce

Yobotagrapher
09-20-2008, 06:25 PM
I've figured a way around the shipping costs and I will be ordering the Panasonic Z28 tonight and hopefully will get it within the week or so.
After reading the reviews, reading Spiders and Sarah's comments, I'm hooked on this camera.

Sarah, I hope you (or anyone else for that matter) don't mind answering a few question for me about this camera. I have been looking around the net for lens adapters and stuff, but I can't seem to find them. On one site they sell the adapter ring for the FZ18..is this adapter and lens that go with it compatible with the FZ28? I even went on the Panasonic web site, and on the FZ28, they have a adapter, but when I click on it, it comes out to the FZ18 adapter. I thought that the FZ28lens was a bit bigger than the FZ18 so I'm worried that it won't fit. Also, what size lens do you recommend for this camera?? Basically I'm looking for a UV and a Polarizer lens...ooohhh also, can you recommend a carrying case/bag for this thing....I can't seem to find anything on the net..