PDA

View Full Version : Canon 10D, 20D, 300D or Nikon D70

MikeA
01-17-2005, 01:35 PM
New to the forum. Sorry if this has been covered before in great length, but I'm an amateur photographer and I'm looking to buy a dLSR. Was going to buy the Nikon D70, but the more research I do, the more questions arise. Now I'm getting overwhelmed. Taking any and all recommendations on the above cameras (Canon 10D, 20D, 300D or Nikon D70). Yes I've read reviews on them all. Perhaps I should just go to a retail store and have some sales person make recommendations. I'd thought I'd start here with yours first.

TIA

Mike

Rhys
01-17-2005, 01:43 PM
New to the forum. Sorry if this has been covered before in great length, but I'm an amateur photographer and I'm looking to buy a dLSR. Was going to buy the Nikon D70, but the more research I do, the more questions arise. Now I'm getting overwhelmed. Taking any and all recommendations on the above cameras (Canon 10D, 20D, 300D or Nikon D70). Yes I've read reviews on them all. Perhaps I should just go to a retail store and have some sales person make recommendations. I'd thought I'd start here with yours first.

TIA

Mike

I'd say the 20D is a lot better than the D70 and has cheaper lenses. Given the choice of the lot of them, I'd go for the 20D.

Personally, I'm not a great fan of the DSLRs as they don't have WYSIWYG LCD viewfinders. Instead they rely upon users using massive RAW files and correcting the camera's errors at home. I'd rather use smaller JPEG files, see what I'm getting and get the best.

D70FAN
01-17-2005, 03:42 PM

TIA

Mike

I have had a D70 for over 9 months, and really like it. I bought it instead of the 300D last March and have never looked back. I suppose you could draw a similar line by choosing the 20D vs. the D70. But in reality, beyond the whiz-bang of 2 more MP and 2 more frames per second, these cameras are very similar. If you can get a super deal (<$1000) on the 10D then that may work as well.

If you feel that you will need the extra 2 Megapixels for cropping, or printing larger than 13 x 17, then that's a good reason to choose the 20D.

If you feel that you will need 5 frames per second in continuous mode vs. 3 frames per second (D70), then that is also a good reason to choose the 20D.

Other than that the differences are minor.

If you choose the camera you like, vs. the cameras everyone recommends you will be a happier photographer. ;)

timmciglobal
01-18-2005, 06:31 AM
How has your experience with dust in the CCD been on D70? I've heard some very bad things about nikon's and dust vs canon. Something to consider (atleast on FM boards they have quite a few nikon people saying every few weeks they need to clean the CCD)

Tim

D70FAN
01-18-2005, 07:03 AM
How has your experience with dust in the CCD been on D70? I've heard some very bad things about nikon's and dust vs canon. Something to consider (atleast on FM boards they have quite a few nikon people saying every few weeks they need to clean the CCD)

Tim

Drawing a conclusion on which camera gathers more dust verges on idiotic. Like the E18 campaign against Canon last year, it sounds like Canon folks with an agenda. I would bet that most of those commenting don't own a dSLR of any brand.

I have not really "cleaned" the sensor since I bought the camera. I have occasionally used air to dislodge a minor dust spec. But keep in mind that with the right day-to-day lens (like the Sigma 18-125 DC) you don't have to open it up as much. I switch lenses about 3 times a week and have not had a problem. Using common sense helps a lot as well (keep the lens pointed down when changing, pre-clean the new lens and camera mounting area with a soft brush before attaching, etc.)

It's funny, but when you read the pro boards (like Galbraith) dust isn't even part of the discussion. Wonder why that is? ;)

Jredtugboat
01-18-2005, 02:36 PM
It's funny, but when you read the pro boards (like Galbraith) dust isn't even part of the discussion. Wonder why that is? ;)

Just out of curiosity, which pro boards are those? (Invitation only?) Can you recommend any, or send any links?

D70FAN
01-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, which pro boards are those? (Invitation only?) Can you recommend any, or send any links?

Try the Rob Galbraith site. Open to all, and a great source for information.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp

eagle17
01-18-2005, 07:57 PM
I have the canon and A buddy of mine has the D70 for each of us it was brand loyalty and the ability to use some of our existing gear.

the dust issue is really not a very good argument I have had a far worse problem with dust than my buddy with the d70. in all cases it is probably the easist thing to remove in post processing.

The only other difference that george left out was the high iso noise difference, although there are some very good post processing noise elimination tools the 20D at iso 1600 is less grainy in dark scenes than the D70 at ISO 800. If you plan to do a lot of indoor shooting with out a flash I would not recomend the D70.

I also believe that there are a wider selection of professional lenses for the canon, and in genera they can be found much cheaper. I am not saying that the canon lenses are better just that there are a wider selection and they can generaly be found cheaper.

the D70 also has a few feature that the 20D does not most notibly spot metering. either way they are both very good cameras and the difference in price being about $350 may sway some people.

D70FAN
01-18-2005, 08:27 PM
I have the canon and A buddy of mine has the D70 for each of us it was brand loyalty and the ability to use some of our existing gear.

the dust issue is really not a very good argument I have had a far worse problem with dust than my buddy with the d70. in all cases it is probably the easist thing to remove in post processing.

The only other difference that george left out was the high iso noise difference, although there are some very good post processing noise elimination tools the 20D at iso 1600 is less grainy in dark scenes than the D70 at ISO 800. If you plan to do a lot of indoor shooting with out a flash I would not recomend the D70.

I also believe that there are a wider selection of professional lenses for the canon, and in genera they can be found much cheaper. I am not saying that the canon lenses are better just that there are a wider selection and they can generaly be found cheaper.

the D70 also has a few feature that the 20D does not most notibly spot metering. either way they are both very good cameras and the difference in price being about $350 may sway some people.

Let me start by saying that I am a big Canon fan (even though I own a D70).

And normally I would just let your comments pass, but I have to take exception to the comparative noise statement, and at ISO1600 that is just not true. Period. I have looked at a good 30 medium format prints from an i9900 made with both cameras and find about the same amount of noise in both. In blue sky shots at ISO400 the 20D actually exhibits more color noise. The 20D is only slightly cleaner at ISO 100 than the D70 at 200.

As for lenses, again, really stretching the envelope, especially for pro lenses. As far as cost goes, for a few IS lenses, you are partly correct. The 75-300 IS for $400 is an exceptional value, eclipsing the Nikkor 24-120 VR at the same price. Beyond that it gets pretty dicey as to who offers better value or wider selection, as we move on to some pretty nice lenses in the $1400 area.

Finally the last time I looked the D70 body was going for $899 and the 20D was going for $1399 (both after rebate). Don't count the 18-55 kit lens with the 20D as it is the absolute bottom of the Canon line. At least the Nikkor 18-70 is worth using.

Samuel Lo
01-23-2005, 09:06 PM
Choosing between Canon or Nikon will be back to the question of the old days of film camera. Canon and Nikon's lens have different characteristics of image quality: it's not something good or bad, but a touch of taste. For digital image, there is one more issue: CCD vs CMOS, both have different touch of image, no matter how many pixels it got. Mike, I think you have to go and have a hands-on test rather than comparing the spec: data is only data, sometimes it cannot reflect the image quality of the picture, the image of a 8mp may not better than a 6mp.

Have Fun.

Samuel

timmciglobal
01-27-2005, 02:11 AM
Let me just say, I tried a D70 recently and it is the nicest "feel" for the prosumer dSLR's I've tried. Very nice build quality, the CF door postion alone would make me love to go nikon (why must canon put doors when you're pressing on cameras? I mean really, stop putting doors on pressure points, they squeak and it drives some of us simply insane)

Oh and the ONE issue with D70 that I found (had it in 4 different images of 20 or so test ones) is moire. It seems REALLY common on ANY patern at all you shoot That could be a crushing deal breaker, especially since Nikon Capture isn't included with the D70.

Tim