PDA

View Full Version : Viewfinder/LCD displays...

Jredtugboat
01-17-2005, 11:03 AM
One of the things I like best about my Power Shot G2 is the twisty LCD thing. I use it all the time, like when I'm shooting over peoples' heads or when I've got the camera on the ground, shooting up.

I remember my Uncle, who owned a rather large kit of Nikon equipment, had some adaptor/thing so that he could put his camera on the ground and look down (rather than having to crouch on the ground) to compose his upwards-angled shots.

Do any of the dSLRs have this capability? And what is this feature called?

D70FAN
01-17-2005, 11:19 AM
One of the things I like best about my Power Shot G2 is the twisty LCD thing. I use it all the time, like when I'm shooting over peoples' heads or when I've got the camera on the ground, shooting up.

I remember my Uncle, who owned a rather large kit of Nikon equipment, had some adaptor/thing so that he could put his camera on the ground and look down (rather than having to crouch on the ground) to compose his upwards-angled shots.

Do any of the dSLRs have this capability? And what is this feature called?

I don't know about the rest, but Nikon offers a right-angle extender for the optical viewfinder on their dSLR's. Not sure about the rest, but I would imagine they do.

I'm sure that you already know that the LCD on dSLR's cannot be used for framing. They are strictly for picture review and menu diplay.

kornhauser
01-17-2005, 12:23 PM
"twisty thing?"

My Nikon 8800 has a swivel LCD screen that allows me to view from all angles, regardless of how the camera is pointed. I.E. if I'm taking a picture facing 90 degrees downward on a tripod, I can still view the screen at any angle for comfort.

If I'm not out of turn, I think that there are several other cameras; including the Sony camcorders as example, that have this feature. :D

Jredtugboat
01-17-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm sure that you already know that the LCD on dSLR's cannot be used for framing. They are strictly for picture review and menu diplay.

Ugggh! Yes. I knew this. Then as I wrote this I somehow "forgot" this crucial fact/difference.

Memo to fingers: let brain think first, then type!

:)

D70FAN
01-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Ugggh! Yes. I knew this. Then as I wrote this I somehow "forgot" this crucial fact/difference.

Memo to fingers: let brain think first, then type!

:)

Not a big deal, but some people (make that many people) don't know this, so I thought it was worth a mention. ;)

kornhauser
01-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Not a big deal, but some people (make that many people) don't know this, so I thought it was worth a mention. ;)

George,

My Nikon 8800 has "framing brackets" as an option on the LCD. Is this limited to that Nikon? I only use it when showing my daughter how to frame shots. It's pretty cool and helpful for that.

D70FAN
01-18-2005, 06:33 PM
George,

My Nikon 8800 has "framing brackets" as an option on the LCD. Is this limited to that Nikon? I only use it when showing my daughter how to frame shots. It's pretty cool and helpful for that.

Actually, I don't know, and don't remember, but it is a nice feature.