PDA

View Full Version : OM 50mm 1.4 hummingbird..

Don Kondra
07-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Greetings,

New/old OM 50mm f1.4 arrived today and I was testing the f stops...

I set up a feeder a week or so ago but everytime I noticed a bird feeding and headed towards the camera, they would bolt...

I just happened to already be at the camera/tripod putting the CF card back in and along comes this guy... didn't even have time to try f2 or f2.8. Oh well, next time, eh?

f1.4, 1/2000, iso 100 and full afternoon sunlight on his back...

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg202/donkondra/HummerReprocess.jpg

Cheers, Don

raven15
07-31-2008, 10:24 PM
Let me know what you think of the lens after a little experience, I have been thinking of getting one also.

Even at 1/2000s he seems to have blurred wings. That is a hard shot for manual focus I would think....

Phill D
07-31-2008, 10:47 PM
That looks like a pretty difficult shot well caught Don. He must be moving those wings pretty fast.

Don Kondra
08-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Let me know what you think of the lens after a little experience, I have been thinking of getting one also.

Even at 1/2000s he seems to have blurred wings. That is a hard shot for manual focus I would think....

There is really not much time to focus, they come and go so fast....

I prefocused as close to the middle of the feeder as I could and hoped for the best :)

First I tried A mode but the shutter speed was flickering from 1/250 to 1/750 as the feeder swing in the wind and that speed wouldn't freeze the wings so I switched to S and 1/2000. I'll have to check the manual again but it seems your choice is 2000, then 3000 and 4000. Nothing in between?

I don't think it's blurred wings as much as a depth of field issue. Will try to catch another one at f 2 or f 2.8 and see.

So far I love the bokeh, I tried another shot with my 14-54 and although it was crisp and clear it didn't have the same feel, I did go 1/500 and didn't freeze the wings so I should reshoot at 1/2000 just to "see"...

That looks like a pretty difficult shot well caught Don. He must be moving those wings pretty fast.

Thanks Phil,

The "difficulty" is being at the right place at the right time :)

Learning to preset the camera for the days conditions will help and I have a wireless shutter release coming in the mail. That will help with not scaring them off...

Cheers, Don