PDA

View Full Version : E1 is out

elder
01-16-2005, 01:24 AM
Hi! You know about my problems to choose between D70 and E1.
That is over now. . . and the bad thing is that I wasn`t bought camera. The reason is that I still have enought time to spring :) . . .and the other one is that the Minolta D7D is out.
I will wait the price of 1100 if at that time I find the D7D better camera I will buy it.
If anyone of you have some advice or coment you are welcome :p

I have another question to. Does an of you use sigma 70-300 APO Macro. I am interested in that lens and I will be happy to know something about it.
Thanks and enjoy

elder
01-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Hi again
I have forgotten to tell you why I have been exchange the E1 with D7d.
Actually I didn`t. I don`t looking competitor for D70. D70 wins the race (prices falls). . .but I got some more money and AS sounds very well.
That is the answer for George :)

D70FAN
01-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Hi again
I have forgotten to tell you why I have been exchange the E1 with D7d.
Actually I didn`t. I don`t looking competitor for D70. D70 wins the race (prices falls). . .but I got some more money and AS sounds very well.
That is the answer for George :)

Thanks for the answer. The E1 is not a bad camera, but you might enjoy the Maxxim 7D a little more as it allows a broader selection of lenses. The AS feature is nice as well.

Sorry to question your motives on the E1, but with the other relatively better choices out there I thought that it might be a good idea to consider the pluses and minuses as Olympus seems to be marching to thier own beat in the dSLR world. Not a bad thing, but maybe inconvenient.

When it comes to dSLR's you really can't make a bad decision. I would even rather have a DReb than the best of the all-in-ones.

elder
01-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi George
I am considering sigma 18-125. Can you compare it with some other lenses? Is it worth to buy it or should I search for something else? I can spend cca 400 on my first lens and sigma is about 270. Can I by better lens for cca 400?
...and what tele zoom do you use?
BY

ktixx
01-16-2005, 12:03 PM
I am considering sigma 18-125. Can you compare it with some other lenses? Is it worth to buy it or should I search for something else?
BY
I am not george, but I bought the sigma 18-125 per his referal. I absolutely love the lens, it is an all around lens which provides nice wide shots at the 18 end and pretty decent zoom overall. The only complaint I have is that it is a bit loud when focusing, however you get used to this after a couple of uses.
Ken

scalia
01-16-2005, 03:54 PM
i don't know, but to me the E-1 kit student offering is a no brainer :) but it's not available here in my country :(

lets see, for 1000 euro you got:
- weatherproof smallish body, built like a tank, good ergonomic
- top notch kit lens, weatherproof, eq 28-108mm... in the vein of a Canon L glass
- 100% optical viewfinder with interchangeable focusing screen
- you can get a OM adapter (for free!) so you can use the excellent old manual zuiko lenses, from wide to tele, and primes, that can be found pretty cheap these day
- right out of the camera jpg that is excellent, so you don'y have to tweak every shot in post processing
- anti dust, so you don't have to worry about cleaning your sensor

and
- add a Sigma 55-200mm (eq 110-400mm) for 130 euro, and you can cover 28-400mm only in two lenses, that is small enough to carry around, and with excellent result.

and don't forget, Panasonic is joining the four thirds standar, so we also expect IS in the near future for the system, and Leica lenses too :)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0501/05011301panasonicfourthirds.asp
(PS. sorry Jeff, I put a link to Phil's site, but I don't find that news here... hope you don't mind :D )
just my two cents

D70FAN
01-16-2005, 04:41 PM
i don't know, but to me the E-1 kit student offering is a no brainer :) but it's not available here in my country :(

lets see, for 1000 euro you got:
- weatherproof smallish body, built like a tank, good ergonomic
- top notch kit lens, weatherproof, eq 28-108mm... in the vein of a Canon L glass
- 100% optical viewfinder with interchangeable focusing screen
- you can get a OM adapter (for free!) so you can use the excellent old manual zuiko lenses, from wide to tele, and primes, that can be found pretty cheap these day
- right out of the camera jpg that is excellent, so you don'y have to tweak every shot in post processing

and
- add a Sigma 55-200mm (eq 110-400mm) for 130 euro, and you can cover 28-400mm only in two lenses, that is small enough to carry around, and with excellent result.

and don't forget, Panasonic is joining the four thirds standar, so we also expect IS in the near future for the system, and Leica lenses too :)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0501/05011301panasonicfourthirds.asp

just my two cents

Are you aware of how difficult it will be to find a true wide angle lens for this camera? That 28-108 isn't going to do the job with the 2X crop factor as you are starting at a 56mm base which is not a wide angle lens.

Even a 17mm base point is only 34mm. So to get back to 28mm will require a 14mm base focal length lens! There are very few 14mm zoom or fixed focus lenses out there, and none (that I know of) that fit the Olympus E1 or E300

Other than the 4/3 system (very cool idea) I can't see a lot to like about this camera. I would think a 7D , D20, or D70 would be money better spent.

My two cents worth.

scalia
01-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Are you aware of how difficult it will be to find a true wide angle lens for this camera? That 28-108 isn't going to do the job with the 2X crop factor as you are starting at a 56mm base which is not a wide angle lens.

Even a 17mm base point is only 34mm. So to get back to 28mm will require a 14mm base focal length lens! There are very few 14mm zoom or fixed focus lenses out there, and none (that I know of) that fit the Olympus E1 or E300

Other than the 4/3 system (very cool idea) I can't see a lot to like about this camera. I would think a 7D , D20, or D70 would be money better spent.

My two cents worth.

Goerge,
i'm sorry if i'm missunderstood your post here, maybe i'm not making myself clear. I mean that the E-1 kit lens is 14-54mm, so it covers FOV eq(uivalent) 28-108mm in 35mm format.

about wide angle lenses, oly has Zuiko digital 11-22mm (eq 22-44mm, pretty wide for me) and also 7-14mm (eq 14-28mm, to make it covers 14-400mm in only 3 lenses!)

off course it depends on your need and plan with how many lenses you'll have in your collection. but for me 2 lenses that covers 28-400mm is enough... well maybe 1 more lens to make it 14-400mm if the money is there :)

YMMV. Sorry for my poor english.

D70FAN
01-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Goerge,
i'm sorry if i'm missunderstood your post here, maybe i'm not making myself clear. I mean that the E-1 kit lens is 14-54mm, so it covers FOV eq(uivalent) 28-108mm in 35mm format.

about wide angle lenses, oly has Zuiko digital 11-22mm (eq 22-44mm, pretty wide for me) and also 7-14mm (eq 14-28mm, to make it covers 14-400mm in only 3 lenses!)

off course it depends on your need and plan with how many lenses you'll have in your collection. but for me 2 lenses that covers 28-400mm is enough... well maybe 1 more lens to make it 14-400mm if the money is there :)

YMMV. Sorry for my poor english.

Yup. Pretty impressive lens selection. Hope the Zuiko lenses will meet your needs. Pretty much locks you in to their system doesn't it?

Again if this is the system you want then go for it. Personally, It's just a little too Olympus for me.

scalia
01-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Yup. Pretty impressive lens selection. Hope the Zuiko lenses will meet your needs. Pretty much locks you in to their system doesn't it?

Again if this is the system you want then go for it. Personally, It's just a little too Olympus for me.

Excuse me George, I partially aggree with your comment about being locked in the system. isnt all dslr like that? if you go Canon you stick with their lenses and maybe third party.If you want to use the Nikkor/Leica/Oly/etc on the Canon, then buy the adapters...

it's the same with the E-system. Difference is that you can use the zuiko digital lenses on 4/3 body from Panasonic/Fuji/Kodak/Sigma when they're out.
Sigma has 3 lenses with 4/3 mount right now, and they'll release some more eventualy with the release of E-300.

agree with you, all dslr will give you good picture...
just try the camera, and pick that suits you fine. cheers.

D70FAN
01-17-2005, 05:58 AM
Excuse me George, I partially aggree with your comment about being locked in the system. isnt all dslr like that? if you go Canon you stick with their lenses and maybe third party.If you want to use the Nikkor/Leica/Oly/etc on the Canon, then buy the adapters...

it's the same with the E-system. Difference is that you can use the zuiko digital lenses on 4/3 body from Panasonic/Fuji/Kodak/Sigma when they're out.
Sigma has 3 lenses with 4/3 mount right now, and they'll release some more eventualy with the release of E-300.

agree with you, all dslr will give you good picture...
just try the camera, and pick that suits you fine. cheers.

All good points. And perhaps I have been a little biased in my approach, as I have been through the proprietary lens thing with Olympus before, in the film days, and I swore I would never get stuck with their system again.

You're just not looking at the big picture here, and I'm just trying to get you to do that before spending your money on an all-in-one that looks like a dSLR.

Fuji and Panasonic are not likely to use 4/3 in a dSLR. Kodak and Sigma? maybe, but definately a long-shot for both. And I'm betting Olympus has some proprietary restrictions concerning competition on the dSLR front. The problem with consortiums is that they have a tendancy to be non-competitive. Especially when one of the parties has spent the majority of money in development...

Anyway, I didn't intend for this to be an argument as to the quality of the camera, but more of a concern for that camera format in the future. It may turn out that 4/3 is the future of dSLR formats, as it is in high end digital backs (which were already based on medium format film).

Apparently this is not a concern so I will bow out of this dialog, and wish you all the best with your new kit.

Jredtugboat
01-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the answer. The E1 is not a bad camera, but you might enjoy the Maxxim 7D a little more as it allows a broader selection of lenses. The AS feature is nice as well.

Hi George,

I was just wondering what your full(er) thoughts are on the KM 7D.

I'm particularly interested in it because of the 'old school' ie., dedicated, knobs that are all over it. The AS is nice, too--though with the usual caveats about reliability, etc.

I don't like diddling with menus and nested commands/options. For a small device, like a PDA or a cellphone, they're an evil that I can live with--but it is nice to see fewer of them on the KM 7D.

Have you ever used KM/Minolta products? Know anything about the lenses?

(I only have a G2 P&S, so I don't have anything in the way of a legacy lens base.)

BTW, the other choices in my price range are the D70 and the EOS-20d. I like doing portraiture and do a fair bit of indoor photography (hand-held, no flash). A fast prime for the Canon or Nikon would definitely be in order there...

D70FAN
01-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Hi George,

I was just wondering what your full(er) thoughts are on the KM 7D.

I'm particularly interested in it because of the 'old school' ie., dedicated, knobs that are all over it. The AS is nice, too--though with the usual caveats about reliability, etc.

I don't like diddling with menus and nested commands/options. For a small device, like a PDA or a cellphone, they're an evil that I can live with--but it is nice to see fewer of them on the KM 7D.

Have you ever used KM/Minolta products? Know anything about the lenses?

(I only have a G2 P&S, so I don't have anything in the way of a legacy lens base.)

BTW, the other choices in my price range are the D70 and the EOS-20d. I like doing portraiture and do a fair bit of indoor photography (hand-held, no flash). A fast prime for the Canon or Nikon would definitely be in order there...

The KM 7D looks to be a very nice camera. Unfortunately I haven't had time to try one. I really doubt that the AS sensor reliability will be an issue, as I'm sure KM has tested the heck out of it.

I have owned a couple of Minolta film cameras starting with the SRT101, and then the 3Si, which I gave to my youngest son (23 and a film enthusiest). The Minolta lenses I have owned worked fine for my needs as have a few Sigmas and Tamrons over the years.

It's coincidental, but today I was looking at some shots from many of the dSLRs in a collection put together by various customers and employees who have bought cameras or accessories at a local camera store. Most were printed at 11 x 14 on the stores i9900 right off of the memory card. What struck me was that they all looked great! These are from D70, D1X, D300, 10D, 20D, 7D, S2 (no E300 shots yet).

So in the final analysis it's what feels good to you, as you really can't go wrong picture wise.

I use a 50mm f1.8 for low light and portrait shots and it works great. $60 used. But with ISO1600 to work with you may not have a problem even without a fast prime...