PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from Nikon 5700???

tntlewis5
08-07-2004, 05:23 PM
I currently have a Nikon 5700. Pictures are fine, except in low light. Don't have a lot of experience in taking pictures but I am learning. I bought the camera to mainly take action pictures of my kids. Don't know all of the correct terminology but I don't like how I try to take a picture but the picture is always different than what I was trying to get (Shutter lag I think). I also don't like the amount of time it takes before I can take another picture, I want to be able to take a few pictures in a row (quick). This camera isn't that old but I am considering buying a new camera.

I want to reduce the shutter lag and I want to reduce the time required between pictures. I have looked at cameras everywhere between $500 and $1500. I don't know how to read the specs and make sure that it will fit my requirements. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tiffany

John_Reed
08-07-2004, 06:02 PM
I currently have a Nikon 5700. Pictures are fine, except in low light. Don't have a lot of experience in taking pictures but I am learning. I bought the camera to mainly take action pictures of my kids. Don't know all of the correct terminology but I don't like how I try to take a picture but the picture is always different than what I was trying to get (Shutter lag I think). I also don't like the amount of time it takes before I can take another picture, I want to be able to take a few pictures in a row (quick). This camera isn't that old but I am considering buying a new camera.

I want to reduce the shutter lag and I want to reduce the time required between pictures. I have looked at cameras everywhere between $500 and $1500. I don't know how to read the specs and make sure that it will fit my requirements. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
TiffanyHave you looked at the Panasonic DMC-FZ10? I don't know how "low" you mean by "low light," but for me it never seems to slow down much except in almost total darkness. It has twice as much zoom (approximately) as the 5700, a stabilized f2.8 Leica lens (biggest aperture across the zoom range currently available anywhere, which also helps in low light). And, it has the burst mode, which will whip out 5 shots at 4 frames/second. Its successor cameras, the new Panasonic FZ3 (3MP), FZ15 (4MP) and FZ20 (5MP) are supposed to be available soon, and they have the "low light" scene covered even better with an AF illuminator, and all will also sustain longer bursts than the FZ10. I hope the FZ3 wouldn't disappoint you by being under your price minimum at $399 MSRP, but the other two fall into the low end of the spectrum you're considering, at $499 and $599 respectively. The FZ10 street price is ~$500 these days, on-line.