PDA

View Full Version : DVD and vCD recording

Rhys
01-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Ok. I've tried Roxio video DVD writing software and found it to be excruciatingly slow on a 2.4 Ghz Athlon-based machine. It also seems to want to save only full-sized images - which aren't required for display on a TV. It limits the menu options terribly as well. I can't believe I paid 40 for a piece of crap like this.

I've also tried Sonic's software which claims to be able to write to a DVD or to a VCD and which fails completely to do either. Fortunately this came as a freebie bundled with my DVD writer. It has better menu options and resizes the images perfectly. Again, it fails spectacularly to perform, coming up with mysterious and different errors every time. Most mystyfing of all is the fact it won't just record the images I want. it seems instead to want to archive the full-sized image whether I want it to or not.

Neither program, in my opinion is worth having for creating vCDs and DVD videos - which is what I wanted them for.

Is there any DVD or vCD creating software that actually does what it claims to do on the box? And yes... I am writing to Roxio to complain about their crap.

bryanbendo
01-17-2005, 05:19 PM
i use nero and it works great, the quality is superb, i have yet to have a problem with it. nero creats svcds vcds and dvds..

Rhys
01-17-2005, 08:14 PM
i use nero and it works great, the quality is superb, i have yet to have a problem with it. nero creats svcds vcds and dvds..

Yes. I had Nero for CDs a few years ago. It wasn't that good with the system but it was excellent at writing CDs. I had to reboot after every write operation - it was that unstable.

I have seen bad write-ups about Nero though. In fact, I saw bad write ups of all teh software I've tried.

Steve Cifra
01-18-2005, 06:50 AM
Maybe something like DVD Picture Show? http://www.ulead.com/dps/runme.htm

I have an older version of it, and it did do what I wanted, but I haven't used it in over a year. I believe they have a trial.

Steve

Rhys
01-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Maybe something like DVD Picture Show? http://www.ulead.com/dps/runme.htm

I have an older version of it, and it did do what I wanted, but I haven't used it in over a year. I believe they have a trial.

Steve

Actually, I do have some ulead software. It's not bad either - kind of a lightweight version of Photoshop.

I'm looking into this. I did try some shareware (try before you buy) from photo2vcd.com but the software kept doing silly things like stretching vertical images instead of putting a border. When I tried to put a border, it gave me program error messages - somebody hadn't coded that properly. My guess is it's a one-man outfit.

Thanks for the link. I'll try it.

kgosden
01-18-2005, 07:47 AM
How about giving Google's free updated release of Picasa (http://www.picasa.com/index.php?tid=Y2NpZD0zNTU2JmN2PTE%3D) a try? It offers integrated CD burning.

Rhys
01-18-2005, 09:35 AM
How about giving Google's free updated release of Picasa (http://www.picasa.com/index.php?tid=Y2NpZD0zNTU2JmN2PTE%3D) a try? It offers integrated CD burning.

Thanks for the help.

I've downloaded picasa. seems an interesting alternative to Microsoft's thumbnails. More of a cross between that and photoshop. It's interesting but sadly doesn't create a vCD unless I buy an add-on (which puts me back at square one).

I'm downloading ulead's thingummy at the moment. As I have a 56k connection, using my download manager, that could take a couple of days to obtain. I'll let you know how that fares when I try it.

Essentially what I want to do is to cover the gap left by Sonic. Sonic will write to DVD and to CD quite reasonably well. It will not, however, write a VCD or video DVD without making a complete hash of it (nor would Roxio/Adaptec). Nero, which I already have, won't do a VCD without purchasing EXTRA plugins. I figure that if I have to buy additional plugins for something, it's time to get something else.

What I want is essentially very simple. I'm tempted by some of Apple's offerings. Actually, I think most Mac owners are looking at this thread, scratching their heads and wondering why I don't just buy a Mac instead. Sadly, Windows is OK for most things but when it comes to something a bit unusual, it falls flat on its face. Thus far most of the vCD creation software I've seen has been somewhat worse than ghastly. I live in hope that ulead will save the day though.

bryanbendo
01-18-2005, 03:09 PM
you can get nero ultra edition for about $99 USD....nero is the way to go, im running a p4 3.4ghz, 1024gb ram, 520gb RAID and i have not had one problem with nero...the transcoding takes time some times but that is about it...i would say their newest release is very stable :)

Rhys
01-18-2005, 03:59 PM
you can get nero ultra edition for about $99 USD....nero is the way to go, im running a p4 3.4ghz, 1024gb ram, 520gb RAID and i have not had one problem with nero...the transcoding takes time some times but that is about it...i would say their newest release is very stable :)

Hmm... Makes my system look somewhat inferior!

Mine is AMD2400XP, 256MB DDR, twin 40GB (not raided) XP Pro O/S connected permanantly to my server (AMD 1700, 256MB DDR, twin 40GB RAIDed, SME Linux O/S).

Nero ultra would probably cost twice as much, in Britain. I'm still doing the ulead download at the moment. I'm 4 hours into that and another 2 left to go.

speaklightly
01-19-2005, 08:00 PM
There is a very simple program from Jasc that does quite a nice job with VCD's and it is very focused on digital photo vcd's. It is called Paintshop Photo Album ver 5.0. If you puchase the deluxe edition ($49.95 in the US) you also receive recovery software that works very well indeed.

Sarah Joyce

Rhys
01-20-2005, 08:32 AM
There is a very simple program from Jasc that does quite a nice job with VCD's and it is very focused on digital photo vcd's. It is called Paintshop Photo Album ver 5.0. If you puchase the deluxe edition ($49.95 in the US) you also receive recovery software that works very well indeed.

Sarah Joyce

I've just discovered I have a copy of arc soft's vCD generator. That's a bit clunky but it's not too bad. The only drawback is I can't rotate images. I've also got something called VCD Easy that was a freebie download. I'm still trying to work out how to use it though - it's not very intuitive.

Steve Cifra
01-28-2005, 05:37 AM
Did you find something that worked for you yet?

Steve

dwig
02-06-2005, 08:56 AM
If you haven't found something yet, I would suggest that you abandon looking at still image apps and general use burning apps that claim support for slide shows on DVD/vCD. I would recommend that you look, instead, at video apps, either editing apps that also burn or dedicated DVD/vCD burning apps that do only video.

I picked up a little app a few years back from Pinnacle called "Pinnacle Express DV". It builds DVDs, VCDs and SVCDs from video files, still images, and direct import from DV cameras. It has no image editing functions; it dedicated to assembling already prepared pieces. It will downsample still images to fit the screen and auto-generates a background color (from the upper left pixel) to pad out the screen when an image doesn't match the TV's format exactly. I generally downsample in advance using Macromedia's Fireworks MX which has a batch mode or using Adobe Photoshop on an image by image basis. It has simple functions for ordering the images and for transitions. It also handles a simple title screen and scenes. No great power but was rather inexpensive. Its done a fine job for those slide shows of family snaps that I've built to send to relatives.

gary_hendricks
02-08-2005, 03:29 AM
Yes, I've heard that Roxio's burning software can give problems :mad:

But have you tried Nero Burning ROM? It's a wonderful tool that I've been using for years. Try it out.

Rhys
02-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Yes, I've heard that Roxio's burning software can give problems :mad:

But have you tried Nero Burning ROM? It's a wonderful tool that I've been using for years. Try it out.

I've ordered something called Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10. The Amazon blurb says that it writes vCDs and vDVDs. Looking at the ratings, it seems that some people just don't like it and the rest give it 5 stars.

Well, since it's Microsoft, it might be something that actually works although the built-in CD writer in XP is hopeless. That ruins more CD than it writes.

gary_hendricks
02-09-2005, 11:57 AM
I've ordered something called Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10. The Amazon blurb says that it writes vCDs and vDVDs. Looking at the ratings, it seems that some people just don't like it and the rest give it 5 stars.

Well, since it's Microsoft, it might be something that actually works although the built-in CD writer in XP is hopeless. That ruins more CD than it writes.

Haha I agree on your point about XP :p
I haven't tried Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10 but have heard rave reviews about it. Let me know how it turns out ...

Rhys
02-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Haha I agree on your point about XP :p
I haven't tried Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10 but have heard rave reviews about it. Let me know how it turns out ...

6pm
Ok. It's installed. It seems quite nice. It seems to need a lot of memory because it's very slow. I'll have to see whether it's worth getting more memory for this PC. I'm not sure whether I'm taking it with me to America or not.

8:20pm
There seem to be 3 programs - one that makes vCDs (all you photos must be correctly aligned before you do this), one that catalogues your photos (a bit better than Google's Picassa) and one for editing photos. Of the three, the latter is one I've not yet played with. The acid tests will be - can it produce vCDs and can it archive photos. More on this as I progress.

The package comes in one of those ludicrously large cardboard boxes but it does contain quite a nice (large) manual. There are two CDs - one is the program - goodness knows what's on the other. I think it's just a photo library or something similar. The CDs come in a DVD-style case.

Rhys

Rhys
02-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Ok.

Review of Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10...

It doesn't work.

To be more accurate, I didn't bother with the picture editing software. Photoshop Elements is better.

There's a backup utility that works resonably well EXCEPT it won't back up QuickTime or AVI files.

The vCD and video DVD creator will not accept AVI or QuickTime files either.

In other words - get something else if you want to include moving images in your vCD.

It arrived today. I tried it. It's going back tomorrow.

Rhys
02-10-2005, 06:50 AM
I just tried ArcSoft ShowBiz. It distorts the images horribly in the onscreen show. I spent 3 hours, waiting for it to complete compiling a video. Then I spent a further 45 minutes waiting for it to write to CD and watching the progress bar creeping toward completed.

Result - a blank CDR. The thing just pretends to write to CD. That's what I call utterly useless. Windows XP CD-writing software at least has a go - even though everytime it ruins a CD.

So, where do I go from here if all the PC vCD writing software is diabolical? I have a copy of Nero that refuses to write vCDs - even though it's in the menu.

If the local shop has Pinnacle, I might look at that if it's not too expensive. There's also iLife for the PC. Having said that, I was discussing the problems of the ghastly vCD writing software with my partner. We're both coming to the conclusion that PCs are ok for general run-of-the-mill stuff like email, web browsing and word processing but that if you want to do something a bit more interesting they don't cut the mustard.

I'm definitely not keen on going over to Linux. That seems to be excellent as a server operating system but diabolical as a desktop system. BeOs is an alternative but so little is written for BeOs that it's not worthy of further investigation.

On the basis that Macs seem to be the only alternative that has decent software support, I ask this of all you Mac users out there: Can you write a vCD or SvCD, including QuickTime and AVI video clips along with your slides?

gary_hendricks
02-17-2005, 07:42 AM
I just tried ArcSoft ShowBiz. It distorts the images horribly in the onscreen show. I spent 3 hours, waiting for it to complete compiling a video. Then I spent a further 45 minutes waiting for it to write to CD and watching the progress bar creeping toward completed.

Result - a blank CDR. The thing just pretends to write to CD. That's what I call utterly useless. Windows XP CD-writing software at least has a go - even though everytime it ruins a CD.

So, where do I go from here if all the PC vCD writing software is diabolical? I have a copy of Nero that refuses to write vCDs - even though it's in the menu.

If the local shop has Pinnacle, I might look at that if it's not too expensive. There's also iLife for the PC. Having said that, I was discussing the problems of the ghastly vCD writing software with my partner. We're both coming to the conclusion that PCs are ok for general run-of-the-mill stuff like email, web browsing and word processing but that if you want to do something a bit more interesting they don't cut the mustard.

I'm definitely not keen on going over to Linux. That seems to be excellent as a server operating system but diabolical as a desktop system. BeOs is an alternative but so little is written for BeOs that it's not worthy of further investigation.

On the basis that Macs seem to be the only alternative that has decent software support, I ask this of all you Mac users out there: Can you write a vCD or SvCD, including QuickTime and AVI video clips along with your slides?

Rhys, I understand your pain. Another suite of products I tried before (and liked) was Ulead. You can find them at www.ulead.com

Rhys
02-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Rhys, I understand your pain. Another suite of products I tried before (and liked) was Ulead. You can find them at www.ulead.com

Yes. I tried the Ulead product but it didn't work for me at all. Then when I went to re-try it, the trial period had expired. On a 49k link, doing another 100mb download doesn't have much appeal so I won't be using ulead. Apple iPhoto looks interesting. It's available for the PC but I think I'll go for an Apple Mini Mac and use that instead. The bonus of the minimac is that I can take it with me wherever I go.

gary_hendricks
02-20-2005, 02:56 AM
Yes. I tried the Ulead product but it didn't work for me at all. Then when I went to re-try it, the trial period had expired. On a 49k link, doing another 100mb download doesn't have much appeal so I won't be using ulead. Apple iPhoto looks interesting. It's available for the PC but I think I'll go for an Apple Mini Mac and use that instead. The bonus of the minimac is that I can take it with me wherever I go.

Wow ... Mini Mac. It looks very cool - I think I'll try it out at some point of time.