PDA

View Full Version : S1

Rhys
08-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Well, I now have a Canon S1. It's very different from my 995 and my 3100. Each has its own special niche - the 995 is fantastic for macro work but is let down by a daft battery. Unless I plan to take pictures with it 6 hours in advance, I have to use 2CR5 batteries.

The 3100 is a fantastic out-and-about opportunist camera.

The S1 seems to me to be the ideal SLR replacement. I did consider an SLR but I didn't feel justified in spending a thousand or more pounds to buy one. In short, the S1 gives me SLR characteristics, a 10x zoom lens and many other features including the video-clip capability (which is very interesting). As dSLRs are currently APS standard rather than full 35mm standard, I didn't feel they represented true replacement value over 35mm. The S1 is nowhere near 35mm replacement value but was a lot less expensive while providing decent SLR capabilities.

Checking the CCD for dead and hot pixels proved that the CCD is very good - better than the CCDs on my Nikons. They didn't have dead or hot pixels but did have some that were very slightly off-key (not so much that it would have noticed though).

The S1 is a complex beast to use. Thus far I have left it on auto only but am beginning to play around, exploiting its full potential. Unlike Jeff's review, I have found no purple fringing. I have found excellent low-light performance though. This is a picture I took a few days ago in Aberystwyth. The colour performance seems excellent. Thus far I cannot fault the camera aside from possibly a slight delay between pressing the button and the picture being taken.

John_Reed
08-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Well, I now have a Canon S1. It's very different from my 995 and my 3100. Each has its own special niche - the 995 is fantastic for macro work but is let down by a daft battery. Unless I plan to take pictures with it 6 hours in advance, I have to use 2CR5 batteries.

The 3100 is a fantastic out-and-about opportunist camera.

The S1 seems to me to be the ideal SLR replacement. I did consider an SLR but I didn't feel justified in spending a thousand or more pounds to buy one. In short, the S1 gives me SLR characteristics, a 10x zoom lens and many other features including the video-clip capability (which is very interesting). As dSLRs are currently APS standard rather than full 35mm standard, I didn't feel they represented true replacement value over 35mm. The S1 is nowhere near 35mm replacement value but was a lot less expensive while providing decent SLR capabilities.

Checking the CCD for dead and hot pixels proved that the CCD is very good - better than the CCDs on my Nikons. They didn't have dead or hot pixels but did have some that were very slightly off-key (not so much that it would have noticed though).

The S1 is a complex beast to use. Thus far I have left it on auto only but am beginning to play around, exploiting its full potential. Unlike Jeff's review, I have found no purple fringing. I have found excellent low-light performance though. This is a picture I took a few days ago in Aberystwyth. The colour performance seems excellent. Thus far I cannot fault the camera aside from possibly a slight delay between pressing the button and the picture being taken.Pretty shot! Got any more to share?

Rhys
08-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Pretty shot! Got any more to share?

Well, I'm still somewhat tired from my 11-day trip to Aberystwyth, Brecon, Swansea, Cardiff and London.

I might select the best, reduce them to 800x600 and publish them on the web later but ok, here's another. This is more of a spectacular sunset at Aberystwyth.

bka314
08-08-2004, 05:20 AM
The S1 is a complex beast to use. Thus far I have left it on auto only but am beginning to play around, exploiting its full potential. Unlike Jeff's review, I have found no purple fringing. I have found excellent low-light performance though. This is a picture I took a few days ago in Aberystwyth. The colour performance seems excellent. Thus far I cannot fault the camera aside from possibly a slight delay between pressing the button and the picture being taken.

Nice pictures. And I'm happy that you like the S1. Low light is no problem but I found that the purple fringing is sometimes an issue. To avoid it the best is to use the zoom to it's half power (3x-6x), if you can go far/close enaugh. You'll notice that the color/direction of the fringing is the opposite at wide and tele. So it turns over halfway - where you have almost none at all.

Some excellent tips (and some less excellent of course) to new S1 users:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=9583614

or maybe it's better to go here (the same, but it one file):
http://www.zellersys.com/s1_tips.txt

Check it out, worth it!

Rhys
08-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Nice pictures. And I'm happy that you like the S1. Low light is no problem but I found that the purple fringing is sometimes an issue. To avoid it the best is to use the zoom to it's half power (3x-6x), if you can go far/close enaugh. You'll notice that the color/direction of the fringing is the opposite at wide and tele. So it turns over halfway - where you have almost none at all.

Some excellent tips (and some less excellent of course) to new S1 users:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=9583614

or maybe it's better to go here (the same, but it one file):
http://www.zellersys.com/s1_tips.txt

Check it out, worth it!

Hmm I have purple fringing. The day was low-contrast and hazy. There's a white tent/piece of litter on the hillside and a purple fringe. This image is full-size, cropped from the photo.

Photo data: 58mm, f4.5, 1/502