PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Newbie question about exposure

Clouseau
06-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi,

last Friday I got my Canon 450D. Since I'm a newbie with DSLR I want to ask you what can I do to prevent overexposure like on the left side of the picture and prevent to become underexposure on the right side?
It would be nice if I get some advice.
I know it's not an easy start with DSLR but I'm willing to learn hard.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3026/2600124929_c0ec483b83.jpg

Thanks for your help.

bye,
Alfred

TheWengler
06-23-2008, 12:50 PM
The easy way is to shoot in more even lighting. The hard way is to use artificial lighting. You can use a split ND filter if you're having the problem with landscapes. You can use HDR if you want to try to fix it in post processing. Though it's hard for most people (myself included) to produce realistic results with HDR.

SpecialK
06-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Sometimes a reflector (the circular kind that is twistable and opens up larger) can fill some shadows if you have someone hold it correctly. In a back-lit situation where the light or sun is behind the subject, again a reflector or flash will help, but not much can save the shot of the car which is in and out of the shade. I would expose for the sunlight and open the shade a little in PP.

Next time, ask the owner to move the car into better light an offer to email a copy of a photo to him :-)

Clouseau
06-24-2008, 02:56 AM
Thx for your help.

Next time, ask the owner to move the car into better light an offer to email a copy of a photo to him :-)
:-) If I see him again, I ask for his key's. And maybe he will get a photo of my new car ;-)