PDA

View Full Version : How do you name your picture files?

jcanon701
06-19-2008, 08:34 PM
I've been having a problem with my more recent pictures having the same file numbers as my older pictures. It gets pretty annoying because it just slows me down so much when I'm uploading/organizing pictures.

In camera, I keep the file numbering on Continuous.

This problem might have to do with the fact that one, I just got a new memory card, or two, I just started using a two different camera bodies with the same memory cards.

Questions:

- Is there a way to prevent file numbers from being the same?
- Can you change the file names right when you're uploading to avoid this problem?
- How do you do it to keep everything nice and organized?

Thanks in advance.

SpecialK
06-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Several threads about this, and many techniques...

I use "YYMMDD-Image#ShortDescription" as the file name. I sometimes change the image# of a few pix to make them flow better, but not often. Because they are in date sequence, any subsequent identical image number is not a factor.

I keep each days' shoot in a directory named "YYDDMMShortDecription". I usually know about when I took a shot, and having the location or event with the date makes it pretty easy to find a particular shot.

I use the free software called Renamer to change "IMGP" to "YYMMDD" in a batch.

jcanon701
06-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Sorry I searched but I can't find any threads about it

JLV
06-20-2008, 07:50 AM
I have a different file folder for each camera.

jcanon701
07-02-2008, 06:56 PM
How do you guys name/file the original files from your edited (final) files?

i always found it very troublesome having to find the original + the edited by having to look in multiple files and what not.

SpecialK
07-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Simple. RAW files are the original, JPGs are the final :-) If you only shoot jpgs, why not just put an "X" or something at the end of the filename to denote it is the final? Then, you'll have the original and the final right there together.

kornhauser
07-03-2008, 05:15 AM
My cameras all allow me to use a continious counter. However, I usually date mine as their file name. The simpliest way to do that is place them on the computer and "select all". Then go to the first picture, right click and click on "rename". I usually put the date and then bracket "(100)" afterward. The computer should instantly recognize that number as a continious count. So in essence you'll have 07032008 (100), 07032008 (101), 07032008 (103), and so on.

That feature is also nice because you can search your pictures based on the month (for example 07) or the year (2008).

toriaj
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I like to be able to find the picture later on based on the subject, not a file number. But I also like to be precise about exactly which photo it was, so I'll save a RAW as "Bear Lake 1017 original" (Bear Lake is the subject, 1017 the file number) and save the edited NEFs/TIFFs/jpgs as "Bear Lake 1017." The files are sorted into folders based on subject and/or date.

Spookonthe8ball
07-03-2008, 03:32 PM
I just add a subject after the date and picture numbers on my finished jpeg files. If I want to make changes I just go to the date to find the original raw file. I usually keep a Picassa folder along with those jpeg images that have smaller X800 or X1024 files of some of the better pics for emailing to friends & family or dcrp. I keep the picture numbers the same and will edit those some times as 9877crop or 9877filtered ect.. I can still search by subject and all of those will come up as selections.
Spook

zmikers
07-03-2008, 04:44 PM
I put all of the originals in files according to subject, landscape, sunsets, people, or even the vacation they were taken on, Trans-Siberian etc. Within those files, they are organized by file number which is an ongoing counter; therefor in chronological order. As for my final copies, they get an actual title and one is stored as TIFF in a file called "finished photos TIFF" and another dublicate is stored as jpeg in a file called, yes you guessed it, "finished photos jpeg." I always keep a jpeg and TIFF of each finished photo so if I need to send one off to the paper or to a friend through e-mail, I've got the jpeg handy, but I've also got the TIFF if I want to make any further edits.

TNB
07-03-2008, 04:56 PM
My file naming is rather simple: Main Subject - Version (if more than one trip) - Date - Photo Number ### - c (if cropped) - NN (if Noise Ninja'd) - Red (if reduced) - WM (if watermarked). For example, a post-processed .jpg photo may be named TiggerDeskTop1 (070308) - 001cNNRedWM. However, a RAW photo will simply have TiggerDeskTop1 (070308) - 001. The original folder, TiggerDeskTop1 (070308), also has two subfolders, i.e. ps (photoshop) and jpg (finalized jpg). RAW photos just remain in the main folder and aren't usually deposited into a subfolder. In a way it is sort of reduntant since the main folder name is also the "general" name of the photos themselves without the photo number, but it works for me.

Hence, one photo may be:

RAW = C://TiggerDeskTop1 (070308)/TiggerDeskTop1 (070308) - 001
JPG = C://TiggerDeskTop1 (070308)/jpg/TiggerDeskTop1 (070308) - 001cNNRedWM
PS = C://TiggerDeskTop1 (070308)/ps/TiggerDeskTop1 (070308) - 001cNNRedWM

Or may even have C://TNB2008/Tigger/ in front of TiggerDeskTop1.

jcanon701
07-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks everyone. this is very informative and has helped a lot.