PDA

View Full Version : When to use Flash Exposure Compensation vs Changing Shutter Speed + Aperture

jcanon701
06-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Just wondering what exposure compensation really is good for.

I shoot on manual a lot and never really used exposure compensation.

Just thought I'd ask to see if I have been missing out on a really good feature.

thanks

toriaj
06-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Sounds like you're talking about plain ol' Exposure Compensation, not Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC.) FEC is only for when you're using flash.

Exposure Compensation, on the other hand, is used in either Shutter Priority or Aperture Priority (and Program? I'm not sure.) Say you know your camera tends to underexpose. Or, you just want this pic to be brighter for whatever reason. Dial in some exposure compensation, such as .7, and the metering system of the camera will increase the exposure (using either shutter speed or aperture, whichever one YOU're not setting) to .7 stops over the regular exposure.

I know lots of people who use it. I don't. I stay in manual almost all the time. But, if you know your camera inside and out, it can really save you time.

SpecialK
06-18-2008, 08:28 PM
There is no EV compensation in manual mode. I use it frequently and shoot mostly in P, however.

It's all about interpreting the meter reading for the correct exposure, and not so much the mode - unless you are doing something particular with the depth of focus or movement.

jcanon701
06-19-2008, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I just totally forgot about it since I mostly use Manual and just change either the aperture or the shutter speed, and with my 3rd option being the ISO settings.

I realize now that Exposure compensation can be really useful when I want to maintain a certain shutter speed/DOP, but fix the exposure just a tiny bit.