PDA

View Full Version : D40 image quality question

Catalina
06-13-2008, 10:20 PM
I just got a Canon 40D and the software that came with it is installed on my computer. I have the camera setting on highest quality images. When I am downloading and saving the pic files to my computer, the dpi reads as "72". I guess that is technically ppi, but most pple say dpi, even my publisher.

The publisher assumes my images are 96 dpi and when I receive photo files from outside sources, they are 96 dpi. Why are they coming out as 72? I know I am a greenhorn about this camera, sorry.

I do have Photoshop and can change the images so they are suitable for publishing at 300 dpi, so I am OK with that process. Just wondering where that 72 came from and if there's some setting on the camera I should change.

BBPhoto
06-14-2008, 07:40 AM
DPI and PPI are two different animals. Here is a site that gives a pretty simple explanation of the difference.

http://www.tildefrugal.net/photo/dpi.php

Hope that helps

Catalina
06-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Thank you for the response. Yes, I understand what you are saying about ppi and dpi. It seems that most people I deal with, even publishers, continue to use the term "dpi" when they are actually referring to "ppi," so depending on who I am talking to, I just use the terms they like best. When I worked for a newspaper in the pre-press department, dpi referred to the screening process.

My camera, a Canon 40D, is brand new, so I am assuming that the 72 ppi it produces, rather than the 96 that was the standard, is a good thing. I was reading on the site you led me to that lowering the ppi increases the print size.

Anyway, thank God for Photoshop.

24Peter
06-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Your camera doesn't produce 72 dpi (or 96 dpi for that matter). It produces an image that is 10MP - 2592 pixels X 3888 pixels (portrait orientation). You can view (and/or print) those 10MP images at 72 dpi, 96 dpi or 300 dpi in your software of choice - that's up to you.

cwphoto
06-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Your camera doesn't produce 72 dpi (or 96 dpi for that matter). It produces an image that is 10MP - 2592 pixels X 3888 pixels (portrait orientation). You can view (and/or print) those 10MP images at 72 dpi, 96 dpi or 300 dpi in your software of choice - that's up to you.

Exactly. Your publisher could even change it himself.

JTL
06-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Or the so called "publisher" could try getting a clue...total idiot...

At this point, is there any excuse for this level of ignorance form a supposed "publisher"?