PDA

View Full Version : a good watermark program

Peter Solano
06-11-2008, 08:39 PM
One time I downloaded a picture from the web, Saved and saw it as a thumbnail, but when I clicked on it to enlarge it, all I saw was a big watermark with the photo owner. Not the traditional watermark on the pictures you see here and there. A fantastic way to protect photographs!!!

Would someone know what program this could be or how this could be done for example in Adobe photoshop cs3?

GaryS
06-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Can you link us to an example of this?

Peter Solano
06-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Can you link us to an example of this?I wish I could, but my hard drive crashed and I lost the photo and can not remember the page where I downloaded the picture from, I was going to ask the Author what program he used to protect the picture.

I had never seen something like this.

As I said you can save it and you can see the thumbnails, but when you click on it to enlarge it all you see is a big empty square with the guy`s name on it.

I wonder if there is such a program or he did it in Photoshop with layers, but HOW?

Great photos by the way Gary, I have just checked them. :)

JLV
06-13-2008, 06:07 PM
As I said you can save it and you can see the thumbnails, but when you click on it to enlarge it all you see is a big empty square with the guy`s name on it.

:)

From your description, I wonder if the link within the web page does not lead to anything. What shows up is the alternate name.

Peter Solano
06-13-2008, 06:57 PM
From your description, I wonder if the link within the web page does not lead to anything. What shows up is the alternate name.
No, you can actually save the photo, and you can see it saved as a small thumbnail, but when you try it to enlarge it that is when the watermark or whatever that might be shows up. You can enlarge it on the web page though. I would love to know what program or how he did that.

Joe Fisher
06-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Seems like doing it in CS3 is a bit like shooting a mosquito with an elephant gun. :p

You can do a watermark easily in Xnview (a fantastic freeware image viewer and light editor, www.xnview.com

Joe Fisher

One time I downloaded a picture from the web, Saved and saw it as a thumbnail, but when I clicked on it to enlarge it, all I saw was a big watermark with the photo owner. Not the traditional watermark on the pictures you see here and there. A fantastic way to protect photographs!!!

Would someone know what program this could be or how this could be done for example in Adobe photoshop cs3?

TDN169
06-14-2008, 04:58 AM
I've done it in CorelDRAW, but you now have to register your watermark under the Copyrights Act (or similar law). I think it's a one off fee, and you can choose whether to watermark on print or on screen (or both).

For $30, this is quite good- http://www.watermarker.com/

Or check out this link (http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/batchwatermarking/Batch_Watermarking_for_Copyright_Protection_and_Im age_Identification.htm) for a list of watermarking software

Bynx
06-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Google Photo Watermark Pro. It sounds like its what you are looking for. My opinion is....if you feel your photo is sooooo good that someone else is going to steal it, then just dont post it.

DonSchap
06-14-2008, 09:17 AM
I agree with Bynx ... sell the darn thing. Let the publisher worry about the copywrite issues. You've got better things to do with your time ... like take more money-makers. Personally, I rather like the fact that some people might enjoy what I post, without that horrible and garish footprint on it.

There's never been any money in this for me and I also have the original, EXIF'd and time stamped. I can prove ownership of my own work. 'Nuff said.

BTW: What do you folks think of this one?

And then I take it, position it where it can't really be cropped off and burn it in ...

Yeah, doesn't that look handsome? Like something out of the old "Tick" cartoon.

Or how about here? Like some kind of obscene graffiti from a spray can?

LOL :D :p

A better idea would probably be able to indelibly insert author information into the digital EXIF of the image, from the Camera-body itself. The image remains yours ... it's cooked in ... invisibly, for the most part. Also, another excellent side-feature is that YOUR camera would have your signature in it, from the point of purchase ... so that if it got "lifted", the bozo that took it would be producing images with trace information all over them.

TDN169
06-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I've checked and you can set a watermark with a lot of programs. You set whether you want it to appear on screen or on print.

Peter Solano
06-14-2008, 01:15 PM
I appreciate all your answers, but this is not for me, it is for a Professional Photographer friend who does portraits, and she sells the package.

For example, she takes 50 shots of a person,, and the person buys a package that includes 2 paper blown ups for framing, a paper contact sheet of all shots, some smaller paper prints and all shots in a CD.

But she had people getting the CD pictures blown up without paying her the rights, so this is where this program whatever it is would come in handy.

That you could open the CD in MY PC, see all the thumbnails, but if you would click on any particular thumbnail just her credit would show up and not the picture itself.

I wish I could find that photograph again.

Bynx
06-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Don Schapps great image has Digimark embedded into it. As well, it has a pattern of DSS IMAGING all over the image. Its now not worth trying to clean it up and remove them all. But at the same time, the image is easily seen.

Peter Solano
06-14-2008, 05:17 PM
First of all Don, great shot!! Please do not mind I copied and edited it. It was just for demonstration purposes.

My friend is losing money because she has a thousands of dollars invested in equipment and people are just buying the smallest package, take the CD to any Photo outlet and for a couple of bucks get a blown up print, instead of going back to her and buying the print from her.

I told her I had seen such "protected photograph" and she thought it would be perfect for her business, people would still be able to browse the CD, but not enlarge them nor make copies of the pictures.

Photo by: Don Schap

DonSchap
06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Don Schap(ps) great image ...

Photo by: Don Schap(ps).

There are no "extra" letters to my name ... it's just Don Schap. We did not put up the money for extra letters ... kept it just to the five, thanks.

I appreciate your comment on my image, though ... and hopefully, there will be more forthcoming.

I understand the watermark issue for BUSINESS and totally agree that people have no business hiring a photographer and then "stealing" their work to avoid paying the accompanying fees for such work. People have gone to court for less.

PROOFS should be marked as such, to avoid such theft ... marking them with your own brand may be overkill, in that regard. I do like the lightweight banding that, if you squint a little, disappears. It keeps the PROOFS simply that: PROOFS.

As far as putting it on forum posts ... that were done for "non-business" reasons ... well, I feel it is a bit silly and distracting. I can read your name in the posting ... I know it probably came from you and neither of us pays admission to be here.

"There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer." - Ansel Adams

Peter Solano
06-14-2008, 06:49 PM
My appologies Don, the credit has been properly given.

DonSchap
06-14-2008, 07:21 PM
There is something to be said about keeping it straight ... oh yes, "Thank you, Mr. Solano." That's it.

Bynx
06-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Sorry Don. Like Bela Lugosi, Im blind as a bat.

GaryS
06-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Instead of just putting the photos on a CD, you could included a regular DVD slideshow... People could watch it on their DVD players, but the photos would be too low-res to print.

You could use Adobe Flash to create a computer CD slide show that could have higher res photos in it, but they would not be available as jpgs on the CD which someone could copy.... Geeks could work around this problem, but regular folk would never figure it out.

Basically, if you give them JPGs, they can print them. Either make the jpgs lower res (640x480ish), or charge more for the CD!

Peter Solano
06-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Instead of just putting the photos on a CD, you could included a regular DVD slideshow... People could watch it on their DVD players, but the photos would be too low-res to print.

You could use Adobe Flash to create a computer CD slide show that could have higher res photos in it, but they would not be available as jpgs on the CD which someone could copy.... Geeks could work around this problem, but regular folk would never figure it out.

Basically, if you give them JPGs, they can print them. Either make the jpgs lower res (640x480ish), or charge more for the CD!Good idea Gary, if we can not find out what program was used or figure out how to do it, DVD is a good alternative. thank you. Peter.