PDA

View Full Version : New to Photography & require help please!

Lou
01-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi my name is Lou,
I have only just discovered that I'm ok'ish at photography I have wanted to take this up for quite sometime but wasn't sure if I was good enough. I'm not a pro in any shape or form, still very early days for me with loads more practicing needed but am thoroughly enjoying it.
I am still using my Canon PowerShot S400 3x zoom 4.0 Mega Pixels until I can find a more advanced camera to suit me & I'm still browsing as there are so many good buy's on the market & it's all quite overwhelming for me. The problem I'm having & could really do with some advice on is I have just downloaded my pictures off my camera onto the laptop which I then wiped the camera card afterwards but I now require them back onto the camera is there anyway I can achieve this.

D70FAN
01-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi my name is Lou,
I have only just discovered that I'm ok'ish at photography I have wanted to take this up for quite sometime but wasn't sure if I was good enough. I'm not a pro in any shape or form, still very early days for me with loads more practicing needed but am thoroughly enjoying it.
I am still using my Canon PowerShot S400 3x zoom 4.0 Mega Pixels until I can find a more advanced camera to suit me & I'm still browsing as there are so many good buy's on the market & it's all quite overwhelming for me. The problem I'm having & could really do with some advice on is I have just downloaded my pictures off my camera onto the laptop which I then wiped the camera card afterwards but I now require them back onto the camera is there anyway I can achieve this.

You should invest in a USB (2.0 High Speed) card reader/writer. They are relatively cheap (under $20 to $30 in most stores) and will save you some battery life and headaches down the road.

Here is an example:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/DRV10466.html

As long as you have not modified the original images you should be able to access them in the camera once you have uploaded back to the memory card.

I have been shooting digital for about 8 years, and have only connected a camera directly to my computer a few times, as I use card readers almost exclusively.

gary_hendricks
02-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi my name is Lou,

If I'm not wrong, the included Canon software (the Zoombrowser) should have some facility to move the pictures back from your PC to the camera.

:)

wall7760
02-18-2005, 02:09 PM
ok so like they said, a card reader is great. I personally have never plugged my camera straight into my computer. If you get a card reader you can jsut dragg the pictures from the file on your lap top to the folder you card shows up on the computer. When you stick you card back in the camera the pictures should be on there. I could be wring with your camera but its worth a shot.

EAP
02-18-2005, 02:20 PM
You should invest in a USB (2.0 High Speed) card reader/writer. They are relatively cheap (under $20 to $30 in most stores) and will save you some battery life and headaches down the road.

Here is an example:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/DRV10466.html

George, I bought this card reader and so far really like it! It's especially handy for me since I have faster computer capabilities (and a photo printer) at work, and with the card reader I don't have to lug my camera and cable to and from work.

Geoff Chandler
02-18-2005, 02:21 PM
If I read this thread right - if you upload via a card reader the card is erased inless you upload back onto the card - is that right??
I have never used a card reader - it was yet more money which I didn't have and I never got round to it after buying the camera - always plugged the camera into the pc - Yes - it's slow.
What worries me is that PC's love to lock up and go wrong in the middle of a job - so I could envisage loosing all the pictures with a card reader - at least with the camera they are still on the camera until you format/erase.
Or - have I got all this wrong??

Geoff

nate
02-18-2005, 03:39 PM
If I read this thread right - if you upload via a card reader the card is erased inless you upload back onto the card - is that right??
I have never used a card reader - it was yet more money which I didn't have and I never got round to it after buying the camera - always plugged the camera into the pc - Yes - it's slow.
What worries me is that PC's love to lock up and go wrong in the middle of a job - so I could envisage loosing all the pictures with a card reader - at least with the camera they are still on the camera until you format/erase.
Or - have I got all this wrong??

Geoff

No Geoff, there's nothing to worry about. When a card reader is plugged in, your computer treats it just like a floppy disk drive. You can copy to/from the card, but nothing is erased unless you 'tell it to.'

Geoff Chandler
02-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Might consider getting one then - shortly going to purchase digicam#2 ~ so I will look into a card reader at the same time.
Thanks
Geoff