PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to paste a gif animation onto a still photograph ?

Peter Solano
06-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Is it possible to paste a gif animation onto a still photograph as a background, and still retain the gif animation properties?

TDN169
06-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Yes. It depends on what software you're using. If you haven't got any yet get the GIMP for free.
Then open up the GIF and activate the Layers dialogue.
Resize the canvas to about 600 by 400 maximum and then insert your JPEG as a new layer resized to fit the canvas.
Set it as the backmost layer and then save, selecting 'Export as Animation" and then change the Layer disposal option from 'Replace' to the other one. Export and see what happens.

If you didn't get some of that, don't be afraid to say. It was a bit brief and assumes you know how to work the software. I can't promise a proper tut, but I'll post some screenshots.

Peter Solano
06-09-2008, 02:36 AM
Yes. It depends on what software you're using. If you haven't got any yet get the GIMP for free.
Then open up the GIF and activate the Layers dialogue.
Resize the canvas to about 600 by 400 maximum and then insert your JPEG as a new layer resized to fit the canvas.
Set it as the backmost layer and then save, selecting 'Export as Animation" and then change the Layer disposal option from 'Replace' to the other one. Export and see what happens.

If you didn't get some of that, don't be afraid to say. It was a bit brief and assumes you know how to work the software. I can't promise a proper tut, but I'll post some screenshots.
Thank you for your reply, I am using EASY GIF ANIMATOR, it is fantastic, I can never use the GIMP, it always freezes my computer and the mouse will not respond.

I have not had a chance to carry out your instructions, but would love to see some examples, so if you have them, please post them.

I have this project in mind, to take a picture of a store front with a neon sign and be able to show the picture with the flashing neon sign.thanks again.

TDN169
06-09-2008, 11:50 AM
unfortunately, I can't post animated gifs as attachements, but I'll demonstrate how I'd go about doing your project:

TDN169
06-09-2008, 12:43 PM
First, I got the two images: (actually I got one image of the internet and artificially lit it with a graphics editing application).

TDN169
06-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Then I opened them up in the GIMP:
Then press dialogues and open up layers:

TDN169
06-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Pasted the lit image into the unlit image as a new layer:

And then gave them suitable names:

TDN169
06-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I then saved it as a GIF:

I selected Save as Animation:

And chose the desired options:

TDN169
06-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Have a look at the result here (http://www.savefile.com/files/1599808)

TDN169
06-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Some more advanced ones:
Here (http://www.savefile.com/files/1599828) and Here (http://www.savefile.com/files/1599898)
And another Here (http://www.savefile.com/files/1599898)

Peter Solano
06-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks so much, that is EXACTLY what I want to do!!!

I downloaded another windows version of Gimp and the same thing happens, the cursor freezes and the tablet does not work with either the pen nor the mouse.

I have the wacom CTE-440, I wish I knew what was wrong.

Easy Gif animator lets me create the signs easily, but does not have the tools to make all this work..

First step would be to get Gimp to work, but I ignore what is wrong.

I appreciate your patience and great effort. Peter.

TDN169
06-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Hmm... Are you using vista or XP? I have the Wacom Volito 2 tablet and it completely mucks up GIMP in Vista.
There is also some sort of runtime environment you need to download, something like GTK+.

Peter Solano
06-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Hmm... Are you using vista or XP? I have the Wacom Volito 2 tablet and it completely mucks up GIMP in Vista.
There is also some sort of runtime environment you need to download, something like GTK+.I am using XP professional, service pack 2 ,may be is the GTK+ thing I need to download, I will investigate.

Peter Solano
06-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Well I downloaded GTK+ runtime environment, reinstalled everything, restarted, and the same thing happens the cursor freezes and I have no control. Too bad, now that I know that pasting a gif animation to a still picture can be done.

Peter Solano
06-10-2008, 07:25 PM
TDN169, I tried Gimp today, and it worked. I am printing all your instructions so I can follow them to the minute to accomplish what I want to do. A MILLION THANKS for all your help. Peter.:)

Peter Solano
06-10-2008, 07:58 PM
In the example you took a picture of a store front with a neon sign off and you lit it up and had it flash.

What about a store front WITHOUT the sign, that you would have to create from scratch, lite it up and paste it.

Would the steps be the same being a neon sign would have a black background?

I know you can choose a transparent background, but how would you do all this?

Once again a million thanks for all your valuable help. Peter.:)

TDN169
06-11-2008, 02:43 AM
Ah, so you've created a flashing neon sign in another piece of software and saved it as a GIF (correct me if I'm wrong)?

The thing about GIFs is that they have layers, and each layer represents a frame of the animation. You can choose to stack them up, or you can choose to replace them:

The first step is to open it up in GIMP and look at the Layers (Dialogs --> Layers). I'm guessing two layers max.
If it has a black background, use the colour selecter tool:http://docs.gimp.org/images/toolbox/toolbox-selbycolor.pngto delete the background (click it and then press CTRL+X). You need to do this for each layer, using the eye icon in the layer dialog to show or hide a layer (a layer must also be selected before you can edit it).
If the background is transparent, you've saved yourself a lot of bother. You don't need to edit it.
Press Image --> Canvas Size and resize it to the size of your JPEG (you may want to scale down the JPEG. Any image bigger than 640x480 is going to give jerky playback).
Open up the JPEG in gimp. Copy and paste into your animation and then click the new layer button.
Drag the layer to the bottom of the list.
Find the bottom layer of the animation, right click and press 'Merge Down'. Now 'Save As', 'Neon.Gif', 'Save as Animation', 'Cumulative'.

Good luck!

Peter Solano
06-11-2008, 11:13 AM
yes, you are correct, two layers, I created the sign with adobe photoshop cs3, a black background and some colored letters, then using Easy Gif Animator I chose another blank black background and saved the resulting animation as .gif.

I will try all your steps, I am sure they will work perfectly. I already have a store front picture with a flashing neon sign.:)

Thanks again for all your kind help. Peter.