PDA

View Full Version : Finally upgraded but slow learning!

Phill D
06-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Well I finally jumped for a DSLR to replace my FZ20. I just couldn't resist the Olympus E510 twin lens deal now the new model is out. Was it a mistake?don't know yet, is it an improvement, yes in some areas not sure in others so have managed to hold on to the FZ so far just in case. Will post thoughts on the camera when I've had it more than a few days but attached is one of the better shots I've managed to get so far. BUT guess what I forgot to do, yes change the WB from some inside shots I was trying hence the blue rabbit :o Haven't graduated to RAW yet so I'm afraid this is jpg. Anyway I've tried to fix this in PP but just can't seem to get anything that looks right. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to change the WB from tungsten to sunny on a jpg image in PP for someone who is learning slowly. The learning is fun though if a little frustrating at times like this.

Phill D
06-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Just to show what the colours should look like I shot this a bit later. He wasn't very happy then though as you can see so I had to corner him to get this still shot.

toriaj
06-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Congratulations on your new DSLR! You know we'll expect even greater things from you now :p
What PPprogram are you using?

Bynx
06-06-2008, 05:16 AM
Phil, if you are using Photoshop, I suggest you convert your image to CMYK. Then you can adjust the yellow, magenta, cyan and black independently. Dont forget to convert back to RGB so you can continue to post.

kgosden
06-06-2008, 05:23 AM
Depending on your software the first thing to try is to set a decent white point. In most software you will be able to sample a spot that should be white and automatically use that to rebalance the color. Your rabbit seems to have some large white areas.

kgosden
06-06-2008, 05:40 AM
I didn't try too hard so I did not get the rabbit tan enough. I just used curves and grabbed white points and black points individually for red, blue and green. It at least got the rabbit to be believable.

Phill D
06-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey thanks everyone I'm certainly having fun. Extra pressure eh Toriaj perhaps I should have kept quiet & just posted a few shots when I'm used to the new toy. Only kidding, for PP I got Elements 6 for Christmas & was dabbling with that. Haven't got much past the auto fixes yet though hence not being able to do much with my daughter's blue rabbit. Unfortunately the weather has not been brilliant here since I got the camera so not been out with it properly yet. On the days it has been nice I've been at work :( Still it's given me time to read the manual :rolleyes: Bynx & kgosden thanks for your efforts & advice they were much better than I managed. You showed me it can be done so I'll keep trying thanks.

Prospero
06-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Congratulations on your new camera.
Don't worry, once you get to know your camera you will find it is an improvement in almost any way.

An easy way to adjust whitebalance on Jpeg files is by using colour balance.
To warm up an image, you can slide the cyan red slider towards red and the yellow blue slider towards yellow by an equal amount.
To warm up your image (where the colours are extremely cool, you can slide the cyan red all the way to red (+100) and the yellow blue all the way to yellow (-100). That will get you close, but you may need even more.

Cooling down an image works the same, but then the other way around.
The magneta-green slider can be used to correct colour cast from certain types of light.

TDN169
06-07-2008, 03:43 PM
I just pressed 'I'm feeling lucky' in Picasa (One step fix) and got this:

TDN169
06-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Actually, looking at it with hindsight, It might have been better to do it with some proper editing software :(

Phill D
06-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks Prospero yes I'm sure I wont regret the jump. I must admit even though it's smaller than some I'm really loving actually being able to see things properly through the viewfinder. Optical is much much better than EVF.
TDN169 lol thanks for having a go, you just don't know what these auto fixes will do untill you try. A psychedelic rabbit nice one.

Joe Fisher
06-13-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm sorry TDN, but that has got to be the weirdest colored rabbit I've ever seen. Truth be told, I prefer the blue one.:p
Joe

I just pressed 'I'm feeling lucky' in Picasa (One step fix) and got this:

TDN169
06-15-2008, 03:42 AM
Fair enough! It looked alright as a thumbnail, but when I enlarged it- :eek:

I'm sorry TDN, but that has got to be the weirdest colored rabbit I've ever seen. Truth be told, I prefer the blue one.:p
Joe