PDA

View Full Version : Dimage Z2 / Z3 vs. Olympus C-750 vs. FinePix S7000 vs.

akvakv
08-07-2004, 05:23 AM
:confused: Hi everybody :confused:

I really didn't think that finding a new digital camera would be THIS hard, but i was sadly mistaken! It's is a jungle out there and i'm totally confused!
I'm about to start working at a ski-resort in France. This made me decide that i wanted a high-end digital camera by my side. I need a camera with automatic as well as manuel controls. I want full manual control of the camera, but since i'm not a pro (yet) i also need it to be automatic (focus, shutter, etc). The most important thing is top-notch image quality and HUGE optical zoom. I also need continous drive, with at least 3 fps.

So boiled down, what i'm looking for is a +5 Mpixel camera, with +7 x optical zoom that takes GREAT, noiseless and fuzzyless crystal-clear and sharp pictures, at least 3 fps.

You probably have a lot of good suggestions in store for at this stage, but HERE comes the twist: It can't cost more than approximately $600-650.

I have searched the web, and found some cameras. I've read some reviews, and this is what i have come up with:

The Dimage Z2 / Z3 looks very promising. It's cheap, it has a HUGE optical zoom, all manual controls, but only 4Mpixels. What i don't like is the feel of it. It seems plastic like, and not very firm and quality-like!

The Olympus C-750
Again only 4Mpixels, but a huge optical zoom, manual controls as well. It is said to have VERY VERY good image quality, which really intrigues me!

FujiFilm Finepix S7000
I had almost set my mind on buying this model, but then i read some HORRIBLE reviews about how the camera (and its predecessors) compresses the images in such a way that it causes a REALLY REALLY bad image quality with lots of noise. This made me change my mind. I want REALLY good image quality with as little noise as possible. However a can't let this camera go yet. 6,3 Mpixel, 6 x optical zoom and all manual controls. Sturdy design and body...

I REALLY NEED ADVISE!
Image quality is the most important thing. i DONT want any noise or fuzzyness, or anything. I want sharp clear pictures!

So what am i to do?! Any suggestions?!

Sincerely, Anders - Denmark :eek:

John_Reed
08-07-2004, 06:54 AM
Image quality is the most important thing. i DONT want any noise or fuzzyness, or anything. I want sharp clear pictures!

So what am i to do?! Any suggestions?!

Sincerely, Anders - Denmark :eek:
Anders, you're placing unrealistic expectations on your new camera. NO camera, for example, will give you photos without any "noise" or "fuzzyness." Even the high-end dSLRs will create "noise" at the higher ISOs, and anytime your subject or you are moving while the shutter is open, your shot will be blurry. Digital cameras, as good as they are, must still obey the laws of physics! Whichever camera you get, you'll have to take some time to "get to know it," before your own photos will become acceptable to you. You didn't say what you would be doing with your images - will you be making large prints? Otherwise, I don't know why you think you need 5 or more megapixels. Some of the cameras with more megapixels (especially the new 8 megapixel cameras) have proven to generate even more noise than their "lesser" megapixel counterparts. Meanwhile, if you're interested in a fine camera with great zoom, the current Panasonic DMC-FZ10 has the longest zoom lens (equivalent to 35-420mm) in a fast, (f2.8) Optically stabilized package. It's "only" 4 megapixels (large enough for any print I want to make), but soon, its successor, the 5 megapixel FZ20, will be available as well.

akvakv
08-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Hi

I have just seen the press release about the Kodak DX7590.
What do you guys think about that?
Does it live up to the expectations that i described?!

It looks very interesting!:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=616
It replaces the popular DX6490. It has 5 Mpixels, 10 x optical zoom, big lcd-screen, full manual controls. It's all new, at only $500

Sincerely Anders

bka314
08-07-2004, 10:27 AM
First, the difference between 4 and 5 megapixels is not too much, but I'm getting tired to explain this, so let's see what has 5 Mpx:

Nikon 5700: 5mpx, 8x zoom, very good image quality. By now it is replaced by the 8700 but maybe you can still find it somewhere?

HP 945: 5 mpx, 8x zoom, easy-to-use (image quality is not always soo good, but still better than the Fuji).

However it's better to check out the Panasonic FZ10-15-20 series. 4-4-5 mpx, excellent image quality and you get the anti-shake image-stabilizer as well (suppose they cost more than you'd want to pay - I don't follow the prices).

Kris

bka314
08-07-2004, 10:39 AM
You didn't say what you would be doing with your images - will you be making large prints? Otherwise, I don't know why you think you need 5 or more megapixels

Stop that, please. Didn't you ever found yourself in a siuation that you would have liked to read a sign / check out some detail on one of your pictures (and you could not)?
It happened to me. From this point of view the more detail you have the better (supposing you only shot in bright sunlight at IS0 50). Of course you're right that resolution brings noise in most cases...

John_Reed
08-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Stop that, please. Didn't you ever found yourself in a siuation that you would have liked to read a sign / check out some detail on one of your pictures (and you could not)?
It happened to me. From this point of view the more detail you have the better (supposing you only shot in bright sunlight at IS0 50). Of course you're right that resolution brings noise in most cases...Actually, I have had that problem, and I've often used my 2 megapixel FZ1 as a "digital telescope." For example, aboard a ship once last year, a cruise liner in the distance was too far off to read its name. So I took a maximum digital zoom shot, and was able to read the name on my LCD. But I'd never make a print from that image. But if you feel you need 5 megapixels to perform this function, that's up to you.

Rhys
08-07-2004, 02:47 PM
How about a Canon S1?

John_Reed
08-07-2004, 03:44 PM
How about a Canon S1?
Hey Rhys, you're back! Didn't you read the original post? The guy has to have at least 5MP. Your S1 falls 1.8MP short. How do you like your new camera, or should we take that to another forum?

Rhys
08-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Hey Rhys, you're back! Didn't you read the original post? The guy has to have at least 5MP. Your S1 falls 1.8MP short. How do you like your new camera, or should we take that to another forum?

Whoops... I can't think offhand of any 5mp long zoom cameras.

I'm still learning how to use my S1. I left it in auto most of the time when I was away. It did pretty well although I found it too easy to knock the quality setting control with my thumb.

akvakv
08-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Well, it doesn't HAVE to be 5 Mpixel and above... any suggestions are welcome.

I'm open for input of any kind.
I've been looking around, and it seems that the konica/minolta Dimage Z3 matches what i'm looking for pretty good.

Anybody in here know this camera (or the Z2) ?

Sincerely Anders

John_Reed
08-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Well, it doesn't HAVE to be 5 Mpixel and above... any suggestions are welcome.

I'm open for input of any kind.
I've been looking around, and it seems that the konica/minolta Dimage Z3 matches what i'm looking for pretty good.

Anybody in here know this camera (or the Z2) ?

Sincerely AndersAnders, the Z3 isn't yet available yet, that I know of. As soon as some reviewer can get one and publish a review, we'll know more about it. Compared to the Z2, the Z3 seems like a good step forward, as it does away with the "display switching" apparatus which hasn't always been reliable; the Z3 uses separate displays for the EVF and the LCD screen, and no mechanical switching. And the Z3 also has image stabilization, which the Z2 lacks. So it should be a better camera in many ways.

akvakv
08-08-2004, 03:57 AM
I think it will be the one. This also allows me to buy a big memorycard and still be within my budget :-)

The Z3 also has a more sturdy body. It should be less plasticky. But it has a smaller LCD screen ("1,5) but i can live with that.

It seems that the Z3 is avalible here in Denmark... :confused:

Sincerely Anders

judge9847
08-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Anders, the Z3 is available in the UK at several outlets with delivery promised within 24 hours. Actually, I notice the price history has it dropping quite rapidly at the moment (nearly 2% in the week) which is a bit odd. But nothing surprises me really. There are several bundles available which should save your money - provided you can get the same sorts of deals in Denmark.

Very strictly speaking, though the camera has a 4.1 megapixel sensor, it doesn't actually use all of them at any time. Only 3.87 mp are used so the image quality, though very good, doesn't seem to be quite what's promised by the 4mp claim. For example, the Panasonic FZ10 actually has 4.2mp sensor but does utilise 4.0, making the claim of being a 4mp camera, in my opinion, accurate. Also, the Z3 has what some might see as a disappointingly maximum of 1/1000th of a second shutter speed and the lens has a range of "only" F2.8 to F4.5.

Hope that helps.

John_Reed
08-08-2004, 02:46 PM
Also, the Z3 has what some might see as a disappointingly maximum of 1/1000th of a second shutter speed and the lens has a range of "only" F2.8 to F4.5.
Brother Bob, I think the "F2.8 to F4.5" thing is the minimum aperture, which would vary over the range of available focal lengths. For example, at a focal length of 35mm equivalent, you'd get f2.8, but at 420mm equivalent, you'd get f4.5. I could be wrong about this, but I doubt that any camera's computer would be able to come up with much exposure latitude while only being able to vary the aperture by barely more than 1 f-stop. One of the reasons why Panasonic's Leica-licensed lenses are so large in diameter, compared to that of the Z3, as an example, is that they've engineered the lens, and incorporated enough glass to allow the same maximum aperture, i.e., f2.8, over the entire zoom range.

bka314
08-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Actually, I have had that problem, and I've often used my 2 megapixel FZ1 as a "digital telescope." For example, aboard a ship once last year, a cruise liner in the distance was too far off to read its name. So I took a maximum digital zoom shot, and was able to read the name on my LCD. But I'd never make a print from that image. But if you feel you need 5 megapixels to perform this function, that's up to you.

I see the topic moved away from here but I'd still like to answer.

I meant the lots of mpxs are good when you realize you'd need some detail just at home, not in the moment of taking the shot - of course, then the longzoom should be enaugh.

And to answer your last post: the S1 has 2.8-3.1, just a bit (1/3 steps) less while it has more compact lens. Physics is physics, but there is engineering as well.