PDA

View Full Version : CF card compatibility

Phill D
05-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Anyone know if either of these compact flash cards are compatible with an Olympus E510?
Lexar CF2GB-300-386 2GB Compact Flash Memory 300x (this is UDMA, said to be compatible with the latest dslrs so is the E510 too old?)
and/or
Lexar 4GB 133x Hi Speed Compact Flash Card
Plus anyone have any thoughts is the speed difference worth having or would it be better to get the larger slower one for an extra 9.

Ken.
05-29-2008, 05:41 AM
This is a tough question and I couldn't get a straight answer from Olympus on card speeds. I use Sandisk but the issue is the same. I called asking what the camera's write speed was for compact flash. I could have picked up the higher speed IV's but it would have been pointless and expensive if the camera could not write that fast. They didn't have an answer. The faster card would have been useful for downloading to the computer. I went with Sandisk III's.

The round about answer is if the camera can use the higher speed IV's then you should not have an issue with the higher speed Lexar's. Whether you see the speed difference when shooting is anyone's guess.

Phill D
05-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks Ken. I ordered an E510 last night & will pick it up on Saturday so as I only have SD cards at the moment I need to get a CF one and didn't want to wast money on speed I couldn't use. I'll try Olympus myself & see where I get.

Ken.
05-30-2008, 04:20 AM
Not to suggest one brand over another, I generally go with Sandisk III out of habit and consistently good reviews. The whole X speed thing is somewhat meaningless. It's the sequential read/write speed that matters. For me, it's write speed that's important. I don't want a lag when the camera writes to the card since I shoot RAW files. Read speed is more important downloading to the computer. I can be patient there. A Sandisk III has a 20mb/second read/write maximum speed. The IV's have rate at 40mb. I'm not seeing any lag when shooting. How that translates to other brands is a mystery.

surfstar
06-23-2008, 06:05 PM
A Sandisk III has a 20mb/second read/write maximum speed. The IV's have rate at 40mb. I'm not seeing any lag when shooting. How that translates to other brands is a mystery.

New extreme III's have a 30mb/s speed rating (written on the card), plus there are rebates going on currently = best bang for the buck IMO.

http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/Products/130/extreme3-cf-4gb.jpg

Eric A
06-24-2008, 06:41 AM
UDMA compatibility with Olympus started with the E-3, so the E-510 doesn't support it. Word around the campfire is the E-420 and 520 do.

Phill D
06-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys I got a 1G Lexar x80 pretty cheap that seems to work fine for now as a starter. I'll try to pick up one of those 4G ones soon. Good to know about the UDMA restriction though thanks Eric.