PDA

View Full Version : How does the setting selection work?

antonsteffen
05-27-2008, 02:55 PM
I still don't get it. You have a camera setting 1, camera setting 2, Wrench1 and wrench 2. In which mode S, A. Program, Auto, manual, scenes etc will it select which settings? I am trying out suggessted settings, which works fine, but don't understand above mentioned. Please help?:confused:

kgosden
05-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I am not sure I completely understand your question. Some settings in the camera menu are global and a few are mode specific. Which behave globally or mode specifically should be detailed in the manual for your particular model (you don't tell us which Olympus you have). In general, most of the values on the setup menus are global. That said in Scene and full Auto modes many are ignored (see the manual again). A(perture priority),S(hutter priority) and M(anual) modes would all respect the same setup menu values as all three are just control variations on the same basic mode.

Things like the file quality (RAW, SHQ, HQ, etc.) and image size or compression are always global. White balance and ISO may not be user selectable in scene or the more automatic modes, If there are specific setup values you are concerned about it would be a lot easier to answer this.

antonsteffen
05-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Sorry for that. I have an olympus Evolt 510 model. I have set all the customize settings as per suggestion, but still don't understand " the pipewrench 1, and pipewrench 2 mode". As I understand it, those settings are "my mode 1 and my mode 2", but not sure when this settings will be active or how to chose either one, and does it reflect on all dailer modes, " A(aperture priority), S(shutter priority) etc. I think you have answered my question, but still I have the wrong idea that there is 3 different types of setup modes: Factory, Camera 1 and 2, and My mode 1 and 2. I am still learning the different setting and what it stand for, but in time I will get there. It is just the overview of the setting modes and how it interact with mode selection. It must sound if I am talikng in circles. Regards

kgosden
05-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Again, the Menu options and the Mode settings on the dial are really not related. Yes, there are (2) "My Modes", but please forget these even exist until you learn a lot more about your camera. Everything else is pretty clear from the manual. Better yet I highly recommend that you walk through the online reviews of the E510 here and over at DPReview (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse510/). They both do a good job of walking through all the options. Didn't the camera shop you bought from offer basic help? If you bought on the web to save money, then you have learned one of the short comings of that savings.

In a nut shell the two camera tabs set all the parameters for exposure and picture quality. As I said, some are not available in every mode as the more basic modes override them. The 2 wrench tabs set more camera functional values that are not really directly related to image quality.

antonsteffen
05-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Thanks. I will concentrate now on all the basics of photgraphy, what I have to do, and on what to concentrate. Unfortunely I am staying in Qatar until the end of the year, and the Olympus outlets are not sophisticated. They sell the camera and do not stock anything else. But for now I will be fine with the 2 kit lenses that was included. Hope to post some beautifull photo's in the next few months. Thanks for the advice!!

Phill D
05-31-2008, 12:09 AM
antonsteffen you might find this article usefull. I'm about to work through it myself now my battery is fully charged.
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html
Good luck & have fun.