PDA

View Full Version : Aperture settings and fuzzy backgrounds

busycorner
05-26-2008, 12:10 PM
The user manual for my Canon A620 tells me I can shoot beautiful portrait shots with fuzzy backgrounds by using a low aperture setting. So far no luck. Any "how to" advice based on experience is welcome.

From Pago Pago, Johnhttp://www.dcresource.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Prospero
05-26-2008, 03:47 PM
With a point and shoot, it is hard to get beautiful fuzzy backgrounds (usually called bokeh). This is because of the small sensor in these cameras.
To get fuzzy backgrounds you must do some of the following things.

- Open the apperture up completely (So pick the lowest possible apperture value)
- Zoom in as far as possible
- Get as close to your subject as possible
- Increase the difference between your subject and the background.

Doing this things will get the best fuzzy backgrounds out of your camera. It is not nearly as good as larger sensor cameras (like dSLRs) are capable of, so do not expect miracles.

Hope this helps.

busycorner
05-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks

That's exactly what I tried even going down to 12X and F2.8

That's exactly the result I got. Fuzzy

That's exactly what I was thinking. Canon promised a little more than they delivered.

But I'm not disappointed: the A620 has been well worth the money for an amateur. I just tried to pull the extreme out of the box.

From Pago Pago, American Samoa

John:cool:

tim11
05-27-2008, 03:11 AM
I wouldn't use digital zoom; it will degrade your image. I think that's why you get FUZZY. Technically, what you need to do to get DoF is to do exactly what Prospero said above but PnS cameras have their limits. Sure they will give you some DoF but not enough for many people.

JLV
05-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks

That's exactly what I tried even going down to 12X and F2.8

That's exactly the result I got. Fuzzy

That's exactly what I was thinking. Canon promised a little more than they delivered.

But I'm not disappointed: the A620 has been well worth the money for an amateur. I just tried to pull the extreme out of the box.

From Pago Pago, American Samoa

John:cool:

Try shooting portrait with the 35mm equivalent of an 80mm to 100mm lens. 12X may be too much telephoto.
Also, your camera may not be opening to 2.8 even though that is what you sent it at. Some, if not most, cameras reduce the maximum f stop as you zoom in.

tim11
05-27-2008, 04:53 PM
JVL's comment remind me of something. At full zoom there is no way A620 remains at F/2.8 it will close down to F/4.1. That's even if you set the aperture to F/2.8 originally. Also A620 only has 4x optical zoom and the only way you get to 12x is enable digital zoom but you will only get degrading image by doing this.

TDN169
06-03-2008, 08:17 AM
I would suggest picking an object with a more distant background, or using photoshop to blur it later (Yes. I occasionally cheat)! If you can get in really close, that also works (You'll need to find a macro mode)

tkbslc
06-19-2008, 08:02 AM
I think you need greater manual control, a longer zoom, and a manual focus ring to get this shot down. The A620 can take nice shots, but you can't expect to fully replicate the shots from $1000 cameras with it. Anyway, My DOF shots never seem to work out on my P&S, so I just use a photo editor to simulate the effect.

shankar
06-24-2008, 06:59 AM
I took this picture with my Fuji S700 (not exactly a portrait, but it works for the discussion).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3086/2596923285_917e007a9e.jpg

I used the Auto mode. I have had similar results using the portrait mode. The details as shown by Flickr / Picasa are:

Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/180)
Aperture: f/4.5
Focal Length: 63.3 mm
ISO Speed: 64
Exposure Bias: 0/100 EV
Shutter Speed: 750/100
Brightness: 750/100
Maximum Lens Aperture: 360/100
Metering Mode: Pattern

I did not manually control any of these parameters since I used the AUTO mode

The S700 cost $159.

JTL
06-24-2008, 12:30 PM
I took this picture with my Fuji S700 (not exactly a portrait, but it works for the discussion).

I used the Auto mode. I have had similar results using the portrait mode. The details as shown by Flickr / Picasa are:

Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/180)
Aperture: f/4.5
Focal Length: 63.3 mm
ISO Speed: 64
Exposure Bias: 0/100 EV
Shutter Speed: 750/100
Brightness: 750/100
Maximum Lens Aperture: 360/100
Metering Mode: Pattern

I did not manually control any of these parameters since I used the AUTO mode

The S700 cost $159.That's an excellent exposure for Auto Mode. I doubt that anyone could have done better with that camera manually. That camera (Fuji S700) appears to be well programmed (for that particular situation, that is!).

Fuji's always seem to be surprisingly good. There is a little "fringing" in the shot, but that's easily fixed.

shankar
06-25-2008, 04:55 PM
That's an excellent exposure for Auto Mode. I doubt that anyone could have done better with that camera manually. That camera (Fuji S700) appears to be well programmed (for that particular situation, that is!).

Fuji's always seem to be surprisingly good. There is a little "fringing" in the shot, but that's easily fixed.

Thank you for your encouragement..I don't know if it makes a difference, but the auto focus mode I use is "Center" Vs the Multi or Area. I trained the single cross hair on the bird. I wonder if the other modes would have made the background come into focus as well...