PDA

View Full Version : DX 7440 pic quality

snaz
01-12-2005, 10:43 AM
New to the forum and digital photography. Have done a ton of research on numerous digital cameras and seem to have settled on the DX 7440. It seems like its specs will meet my objectives better than any other cam in the same price range; relatively fast shutter, little or know redeye, easy to use, 4 MP, 4X zoom lens.

My only concern is the fact that some reviews suggest the photo quality is not that great and dark pics indoors.

Do you think these issue will be problem for beginner who will use cam mainly for pics of family, many indoors?

Any other suggestions in this range?

Thanks.

speaklightly
01-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Snaz-

I own a Kodak DX-7440 and have not had any problems at all with poor photo quality. As far as flash photos are concerned, please just keep in mind that the light from the flash is good out to 10 feet. As long as you keep your subject at 10 feet or less, you should not have any problems.

Sarah Joyce

npphotog
01-13-2005, 04:35 AM
You can also set the 7440 on M (manual), the ISO at 400 and turn off the flash - use it inside without flash like a regular camera. That's what I do and the pix look good. I would recommend the camera. The flash is limited to about 10 feet. It's very fast with little to no lag time. Willard

speaklightly
01-14-2005, 06:50 AM
Snaz-

Yes, Willard's suggestion will work if there is sufficient ambient light and if you can keep the shutter speed at 1/40th or higher to prvent blurring the photo.

Sarah Joyce

snaz
01-14-2005, 07:44 AM
Are the pictures from the DX7440 sharp? I was looking at some pictures comparing a kodak 10X zoom vs the panasonic fz3. I know the kodak zoom is different from the 7440, but the kodak picture really didn't look that sharp compared to the pan.

I also noticed that Jeff's review stated that pictures from the DX 7440 were "good", but that there was room for improvement. Is anyone disappointed w/ the pictures from the DX 7440?

speaklightly
01-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Snaz-

I have observed the same thing. We have a Kodak DX - 7440, DX-6490, a Panasonic FZ-10 and FZ-20. It is interesting to compare the sharpness from those four digital cameras.

The Panasonic are sharper to my eyes. The Kodak images are just a bit soft. That is why I use the panasonics more!

Sarah Joyce

speaklightly
01-15-2005, 02:09 PM
In all fairness, I just pulled out our Dx-7440 and took some digtial photo. Of the five photos I took quickly, all were very sharp. I then took the same digital photos with the Pansonic FZ-10 and those pictures were EQUALLY as sharp, not SHARPER.

Now both the DX-7440 and the FZ-10 are 4mp digital cameras. The HUGE difference is in the price. The Kodak cost almost 1/2 of the FZ-10's cost.

In this case, the DX-7440, equals real value!

Sarah Joyce