PDA

View Full Version : Flash bouncer?

TheObiJuan
01-12-2005, 07:00 AM
I read on the Fred Miranda board about using a laminated card to reflect the light from your flash upward at a 45. Aparently it reduces the harshness of the light. I tried it and was astounded.

Regular flash fire. blown out details.
http://styleandspeed.com/theobijuan/pics/DSC01494.jpg
Soft, evenly dispersed light, details maintained.
http://styleandspeed.com/theobijuan/pics/DSC01492.jpg

My card is a 2"x3" and i just put a layer of 2" clear and glossy tape over it.

vloher
01-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Hi ObiJuan,

I usually use a card with a rubber band which is on the top of the flash head when I angle the flash head up. Is this what you did? I wasn't clear if you angled the flash head or if you shot direct and used the card to bounce the flash.

Sure is a big difference in the two pictures.

Thanks for your response.

Victor

D70FAN
01-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi ObiJuan,

I usually use a card with a rubber band which is on the top of the flash head when I angle the flash head up. Is this what you did? I wasn't clear if you angled the flash head or if you shot direct and used the card to bounce the flash.

Sure is a big difference in the two pictures.

Thanks for your response.

Victor

Light management is an aquired skill, and should be the first books read or classes taken if you want good pictures. Just subtle diffusion and shifts can make a dramatic difference in your pictures.

Why do you think professional photographers take so many shots of the same subject from every possible angle and lighting aspect? :)

Learn about light. It's the very basic component of good photography. Once you know how it works, you can innovate, and amaze yourself.

RayGun
01-31-2005, 03:38 AM
ObjJuan, that's astounding!

Actually, I've been thinking in that direction myself (how to reflect flash upward)

Could you please give a link to the place where you've learned how to make that reflector? Or, maybe, you could describe the process yourself?

Rhys
01-31-2005, 06:02 AM
ObjJuan, that's astounding!

Actually, I've been thinking in that direction myself (how to reflect flash upward)

Could you please give a link to the place where you've learned how to make that reflector? Or, maybe, you could describe the process yourself?

What most pros do is simply to get a white card (a postcard will do), fasten it to a swivel head flash with an elastic band. The head of the flash is then pointed upwards and the card bent at 45 degrees so that the light bounces off it straight at the subject.

Personally, I tend not to bother with flash. Sure, I have a Metz hammerhead flash but these days I never use it. Maybe if DSLRs suddenly became attractive...