PDA

View Full Version : Youtube video blogging

~kev~
05-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Hello everyone, I do a lot of video blogging for youtube. Most of the videos are filmed with a 2.5 year old Sony WS-5. The videos are filmed in 640X480, but you can see a lot of pixels. When youtube resizes the videos, they look really bad. Plus there is a 10 minute or 100 meg video limit on youtube.

I am currently looking at a Canon A720 as the replacement. The draw back - I read somewhere that AVI (Canon A720 format) is bigger then MPEG-2 (Sony WS-5 format).

The video editing software I use is windows movie maker that comes with XP Service Pack 2.

How much resolution would I loose by converting an AVI file to MPEG-2 and get it within the 100 megs for a 10 minute limit. Currently, my edited videos average about 10 - 15 megs per minute. And that is after using a seperate watermarking program.

Does anyone here to the youtube thing? If so, can you provide a link to some of your videos and tell me what kind of camera you use?

I think the Sony WS-5 uses a 640X480 10 or 15 FPS setting. So maybe just going with a faster FPS camera would fix the poor quality problem? The Sony WS-5 has a fine video setting. But instead of 45 minutes of video, its more like 8 minutes - and this is with a 1 gig card. On the Fine setting the videos turn out a lot better. Its a matter of only getting 8 minutes per gig. Its hard to film a birthday party like that.

TDN169
06-03-2008, 08:14 AM
I use this software (http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-Studio-Manager.htm) which will convert files to youtube friendly format and upload direct to your account. I can't vouch for it's security levels, it's free so watch out. It seems to work well for most files.
To get round the 10 minute limit, you'll need to delete your account and register as a Director. It's no more expensive.
Quality- videos always loose quality on youtube, but there is now an option to upload an aditional HighRes video- any good?

I'm by no means experienced in video, so if I haven't answered your question, feel free to re-ask it!

David Metsky
06-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I think the Sony WS-5 uses a 640X480 10 or 15 FPS setting. So maybe just going with a faster FPS camera would fix the poor quality problem? The Sony WS-5 has a fine video setting. But instead of 45 minutes of video, its more like 8 minutes - and this is with a 1 gig card. On the Fine setting the videos turn out a lot better. Its a matter of only getting 8 minutes per gig. Its hard to film a birthday party like that.
Yes, increasing the frame rate will improve video quality. 10 or 15 fps is very noticeably choppy even before YouTube compression.

But quality video does eat up memory cards. Fortunately, memory is cheap. At least SDHC memory is fairly cheap, Sony memory is more expensive.

Once you get the video to the computer you can play with the Canon formats and get the video size down the a much more manageable file. I have a Canon S3 and SD800 and shoot mostly skiing videos. Here's one hosted on my own site, so no YouTube compression. It was shot on my SD800 at 640x480 @ 30 fps.

http://www.hikethewhites.com/hp08/hp01.wmv

TDN169
06-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Youtube is only 240i so don't worry about resolution. Frame rate should be as close to 25 fps as possible.