PDA

View Full Version : Photoediting Software

jwbland
01-11-2005, 12:51 PM
I am the happy owner of a new N. D70.

What is the best editing / image management software that I should get and what should I expect to pay?

Picture Project seems rather limited as does the little program that was included on the flash card that I purchased. The image editor that came with my computer seems to have more features, but of course I have long since lost the manual for this program. Is Adobe Photoshop a good choice? Do I need more than one program? Operating system is Windows XP.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

WB

D70FAN
01-11-2005, 06:10 PM
I am the happy owner of a new N. D70.

What is the best editing / image management software that I should get and what should I expect to pay?

Picture Project seems rather limited as does the little program that was included on the flash card that I purchased. The image editor that came with my computer seems to have more features, but of course I have long since lost the manual for this program. Is Adobe Photoshop a good choice? Do I need more than one program? Operating system is Windows XP.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

WB

I recommend that you start with Photoshop Elements 3.0. A good solid version of Photoshop without some of the pro features that you probably won't use anyway. Down the road, when you are "feelin' pro" the shift to Photoshop will be very easy. Elements 3.0 can handle Nikon NEF (RAW) as well.

jaykinghorn
01-11-2005, 07:02 PM
I second George's suggestion. Photoshop Elements is a great program. For $99 bucks it's a steal.

Jay Kinghorn
RGB Imaging

eagle17
01-11-2005, 07:11 PM
yes I agree with elements.. also I would suggest you start to look for some other photographers in your area that you can work with to exchange post processing knowledge. this has let me learn more about post processing in two weeks then I was able to figure out myself in 6 months.

azsooner
01-12-2005, 05:34 AM
WB,

Like you I am new to the world of SLR digital. For what it's worth, here's my two cents. I played with the fully functional downloads of Nikon Capture, Photoshop Elements, and Photoshop CS. At the end of the day, Nikon Capture had a tendency to require much more post processing, because it tended to make the pictures very dark, and Photoshop CS had way more features than I am ready to think about. In my mind, the price and functionality of Elements (including the fact that auto fix actually does a pretty good job) made it by far the best choice. The only financial issue you might consider is that an Elements license will not qualify you to purchase the CS upgrade if/when you decide it's time.

Now for you pros out there... The only reasons I could find for purchasing Capture is for moire elimination and the ability to download curves. Iíve since decided not to utilize curves and handle any white balancing in post processing. However, is there other software out there than can handle moirť if it becomes an issue? I didnít see any way of doing this in Elements or CS.

Jeff

jaykinghorn
01-12-2005, 08:44 AM
WB,

Now for you pros out there... The only reasons I could find for purchasing Capture is for moire elimination and the ability to download curves. Iíve since decided not to utilize curves and handle any white balancing in post processing. However, is there other software out there than can handle moirť if it becomes an issue? I didnít see any way of doing this in Elements or CS.

Jeff

Jeff,

Moire is best eliminated in camera by moving closer to, or further from your subject. Once you've captured it in a file it becomes very difficult to remove. I haven't played with Nikon Capture in quite a while. When I did, I couldn't see any reason for buying it. For editing raw files I vastly prefer Adobe's Camera Raw or Phase One's Capture One DSLR.

Best Regards,
Jay Kinghorn
RGB Imaging

Charles C. Weston
01-12-2005, 01:41 PM
I am relatively new in the field of dSLR having bought my D70 last May. Since then I have been learning something new about it every day. George Riehm has been a big help to me not only directly but from his responses to others, and thanks to all of the other contributors to this site. The D70 has so many marvelous options and capabilities the learning process probably will never end.
I am also wrestling with the photoediting software choices. I have decided that Photohop CS is too expensive at my present knowledge and use, so I have purchased Photoshop Elements 3. I have used ver. 2 for a couple of years. I am now wondering about Nikon Capture. I am using a trial version and have noticed that it does process NEF so much better than Elements 3.
Because of this I am thinking of buying Capture to process the raw files and adjust white balnce and levels in Capture, if needed, and then transfer up to Elements to finish up the processing.

D70FAN
01-12-2005, 06:15 PM
I am relatively new in the field of dSLR having bought my D70 last May. Since then I have been learning something new about it every day. George Riehm has been a big help to me not only directly but from his responses to others, and thanks to all of the other contributors to this site. The D70 has so many marvelous options and capabilities the learning process probably will never end.
I am also wrestling with the photoediting software choices. I have decided that Photohop CS is too expensive at my present knowledge and use, so I have purchased Photoshop Elements 3. I have used ver. 2 for a couple of years. I am now wondering about Nikon Capture. I am using a trial version and have noticed that it does process NEF so much better than Elements 3.
Because of this I am thinking of buying Capture to process the raw files and adjust white balnce and levels in Capture, if needed, and then transfer up to Elements to finish up the processing.

That would certainly be more cost effective than Photoshop CS. Glad to help.