PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Master 2 for editing?

Ken.
04-26-2008, 07:18 AM
My thinking is that this bit of software is bit sad for an E-510. I asked Olympus if they had any plans to make the firmware updater a free standing app - no they don't. It annoys me at some level to have an app loaded thats sole purpose is to update firmware, whenever that may happen.

Since I'm an Adobe kind of guy, Studio is not really needed except for tethered shooting. So what are y'all using? Maybe if Olympus gets a clue that Master and the E series are not a good pairing they'll do something.

Razr
05-01-2008, 03:14 PM
My thinking is that this bit of software is bit sad for an E-510. I asked Olympus if they had any plans to make the firmware updater a free standing app - no they don't. It annoys me at some level to have an app loaded thats sole purpose is to update firmware, whenever that may happen.

Since I'm an Adobe kind of guy, Studio is not really needed except for tethered shooting. So what are y'all using? Maybe if Olympus gets a clue that Master and the E series are not a good pairing they'll do something.

Olympus MASTER 2 (and other versions of Master) was introduced to Evolt 4/3rds owners for those who do not have or use Photoshop, and for us to use the Olympus RAW codec to process Evolt RAW files without having to shop around for an Olympus RAW file processor.

Agreed about Master/Studio being "sad", but then, what isn't "sad" when compared to Photoshop?

Remember too, there are those who only want/need basic post processing and that Master & Studio does in spades.

**It is best/helpful to upload the latest Olympus firmware updates for you specific camera.
With the newest/latest firmware, Master hums along.
**Don't forget to also upload your ZD lens firmware

Ken.
05-01-2008, 09:33 PM
I should have mentioned I'm using Mac's. I can open and tweak an ORF file in just about anything including the Preview app that comes with OS X. (My guess is there's a free Windows equivalent.)

Normally I never recommend Photoshop to anyone for photo editing unless they have a need for the massive power of the program and have the time to dedicate to learning it. It's an incredible program but massive overkill for many people. Photoshop Elements will handle ORF/RAW and you can do some intense editing at a much, much lower cost.

I guess I expected Master to be a bit better for such a powerful camera. It reminds me of Camedia from my ancient Brio snappy.

raven15
05-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I use Irfanview for about 95% of my editing (needless to say I'm not into incredibly advanced stuff). Recently I have been investigating photoshop, it can do many more things but I don't need 90% of them. But since I can get Photoshop & Illustrator CS3, Acrobat, and a few other Adobe products for just $200 total, I will do that in the near future.

The only reason I have Olympus Master was to install firmware updates on my camera. I usually don't use the software that is packaged with my hardware.

Ken.
05-02-2008, 06:17 AM
IrfanView is a brilliant bit of software on the PC side. Picasa is good, too.

I had CS2 on my work computer and when I changed/upgraded to a notebook I only reloaded Photoshop Elements and Lightroom. My needs are so light that it didn't make sense. There's CS3 on other desktops if I need it.

I also use Master 2 just for firmware updates. Photoshop Elements blows it off the map. The potential problem is I won't know if there's a firmware update unless I see an announcement for it.

I think Olympus needs to rethink this a bit. A camera at the E level is on a completely different level than the snappies. One program does not cover all.

Don Kondra
05-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi Ken,

I also find Olympus Master 2 to be of limited use.

Mostly I do minor exposure changes, maybe resize and then convert to jpeg and if necessary, use Adobe Photoshop 5.O LE for the rest.

I have the Lightroom trial version bookmarked to download as soon as I finish the current project in the shop.

Cheers, Don

Ken.
05-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Be prepared for a big change. It's absolutely focused on photography, not graphic design. Once you discover the amount of features and the mind bending amount of adjustments you can make you'll see how very different it is from Photoshop.

I strongly suggest you use the DNG format conversion. It's convenient to not have to deal with sidecar files. A DNG contains the image and the data in one package. You can also include the ORF within the DNG if you want to be double safe.

The only quirk I have found is a very slight lateral axis shift. Because RAW is proprietary the spec is not released to other vendors. If you view an ORF in Lightroom (or Photoshop or Aperture) and the same ORF in Master you'll notice the image shifts very slightly. It's bizarre but it's only a few pixels. Olympus claims Adobe and Apple calculate the xy axis slightly differently. I've seen the same RAW look different in different RAW conversion software but never a shift.

Don Kondra
05-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up Ken,

I'm not sure how much more studying I'm up to. It tends to keep me in my chair and I need to be making sawdust (big grin)

As it is I need to convert the raw files in Master 2 before using PS 5.0 LE for any final adjustments.

Just a bit of a pain having to go through two steps... I really hate the phrase "good enough" but PS 5.0 LE is doing it for me :)

Cheers, Don

Ken.
05-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Whatever works for you is fine. I'm not about to change anyone's workflow if it works for them. I get far too many Photoshop and camera questions in the course of a work day. It's impossible to learn Photoshop quickly. Elements is far more approachable.

Here's an interesting little tidbit: Picasa converts ORF RAW. I don't know about the Windows version but the Mac version does it.

Don Kondra
05-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks Ken,

I've downloaded it and will also give it a try.

Cheers, Don