PDA

View Full Version : Future MLB star

sparkie1263
04-23-2008, 07:09 PM
My granddaughter with her brothers glove. Should I have used a fill flash?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3202/2437997570_91bfa4fef5.jpg

DonSchap
04-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Frank,

I tried my hand at using the usual adjustments ... and think I was able to reduce some of the hard sun flare on her cheeks and forehead, without killing the color in the shot.

Original

After curves, -7 desaturation, slight overall darkening and contrast adjustment

I am wondering if a polarizer might have improved the shot a little. Help get rid of the glare. Might be worth experimenting with.

sparkie1263
04-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks Don I will try to fix in PS and see what I can do. I am still learning how to fix my pictures in PS.
Thanks again
Frank

DonSchap
04-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Half the battle is figuring out what the image needs ... what initially hit me was the contrast ... direct sunlight really is hard on a sensor, because of the intense changes from bright to sudden dark shadow. So ... seeing that, I knew I had to use "curves" to try and reduce the highlights as far as I dare and then lighten the shadows as far the other way, while trying to maintain the center. It can be tricky, because the contrast gets goofy if you go too far.

I then go for the hue and saturation ... to reduce reddening ... and distribute the overall color in a neutral way. Then again adjusting the contrast to try and soften the change between dark and light. Finally, a bit of sharpening to regain some of the lost texture to the contrast adjustments.

If you look, you will see that her perceived eye-color improved enormously from this technique. The eyes are usually very important in portrait shots. You get the eyes right, you've got your shot. Perhaps I could have gone in and done a slightly better shift, but for a raw edit and go, this wasn't that far off.

Also note that the background tends to fade away in the adjustment, where that "green" fence really tended to "crowd" the subject.

sparkie1263
04-23-2008, 08:30 PM
I asked if I should buy filters and you said I should get a lens. LOL I did order the filters. I got a polarizer and a ND filter. Not to change the subject but can the ND filter be used for long exposures in bright light? I seen on one of the forums something about a nine stage ND filter.Is that the same thing? It gave the running water and the clouds a nice effect.

Rooz
04-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Should I have used a fill flash?

got it in one mate. a splash of fill flash would have just about eliminated the shadows and heavy contrast on her face. i dont think a polariser or ND filter would have made much difference.

think about what mode you are shooting in aswell. are you shooting in a high contrast/ high saturation mode ? for portraits, a neutral colour setting is far more desirable to produce pleasing skin tones.

sparkie1263
04-23-2008, 08:54 PM
What is a neutral color setting? There is just too much to think about before a shot. I am starting to think all my good images I have taken were by dumb luck. I try to remember to check my settings before I shot but if I grab the camera to take a quick shot I don't check anything.

Thanks
Frank

Rooz
04-24-2008, 12:16 AM
not at all. you're doing fine. when you start shooting with dslr people normally bump up contrast, sharpening, colour etc to have everything look like a P&S image str8 from the camera. as you get better and better at it and learn how to PP more and more, you will be demanding of more neutral images.

in your menu there is a place you can manage your pictur control processing in-camera. Don can fill you in on the exact details but certianly for skin tones try and set your contrast and saturation down to low. (i use low settings all the time and never change it).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyDSLRA100/page7.asp#

SONYNUT
04-24-2008, 12:46 AM
can always go b&w

sparkie1263
04-24-2008, 04:48 AM
I did try B&W and it did look good.
Thanks again everybody

Rooz
04-24-2008, 05:59 AM
colour version is much better.

DonSchap
04-24-2008, 06:54 AM
I asked if I should buy filters and you said I should get a lens. LOL I did order the filters. I got a polarizer and a ND filter. Not to change the subject but can the ND filter be used for long exposures in bright light? I seen on one of the forums something about a nine stage ND filter.Is that the same thing? It gave the running water and the clouds a nice effect.

Well ... there's nothing like having the equipment for the conditions, right? I do have a few tricks in my own bag ... but, it does take a bit work to keep that stuff close.

The ND filter allows you to close down even further than the lens normal can. It is commonly used to control aperture in fixed aperture lenses.