PDA

View Full Version : Portrait / Headshot Photography

craigyc
04-23-2008, 04:32 AM
Hi there!

Apologies if this has already been covered but i didn't see a thread about it in the techniques section.

I'm looking to start doing some portrait photography as it's an area of photography I have never really looked in to before. I have researched a bit on the net and come across some nice sites with good tips but thought it may be useful to get people on the forums ideas and examples of theyre set-ups etc! Whether they be pro or home made!

I mentioned to my girlfriend that I may be able to use her as a model as she is currently at University as a dancer and will need some headshots sooner or later! So this gave me an excuse to look into it :)

The equipment that I have come across that i am probably going to need is:

A fast prime lens. e.g Nikkor 50mm f1.8 - Which is only MF on my d40 but it might work because its a controlled environment for portraits.

Lighting umbrella and stand.

A number of reflectors such as a large one one the opposite side of the key light and a small one for under the model.

Im still not sure of flashes etc I will need to do a bit more research

Does this sound about right and can it be done cheaply and still get great results?!

mattc
04-23-2008, 02:58 PM
you will also need a commander since your d40 doesnt have one or you could go with a sb800 if your gonna have a flash on the camera aswell as beside the subject