PDA

View Full Version : dig. camers-can i have prints made like 35mm film

ddean52
08-06-2004, 05:56 AM
thinking of buying dig camera but would like to also make reg prints from my dig camera. can this be done?
thanks
dean
alicedean2001@msn.com

D70FAN
08-06-2004, 06:50 AM
thinking of buying dig camera but would like to also make reg prints from my dig camera. can this be done?
thanks
dean
alicedean2001@msn.com

Sure. Just take the memory card down to your local Wolf, Ritz, Wal-Mart, Longs, Walgreens, Osco, etc. I'm sure these are available in most foreign countries as well. Most have a digital kiosk where you can have regular 4 x 6 inch prints made from your digital images. And you can special order any size you want at most of these.

Another option is on-line printing places like Ofoto, which can be less expensive, but don't offer fast turn-around.

Hadoken
08-06-2004, 06:59 AM
I can't say about quality of the prints, but if you have a Sam's Club near you they have digital prints in one hour for $.18 a piece. Thats cheaper than getting a regular roll of film developed!
I haven't done Sam's Clubs digital camera prints yet, but I was HIGHLY satisfied by the quality of their 35mm prints.

Robert
08-06-2004, 01:13 PM
I can heartily recommend the 18 cent 4x6 inch prints from SAM's. A nice additional economical feature is that there is no minimum. The kiosk is by Fuji and I'd say the photos compare favorably to anything I've seen from the Kodak kiosks I've seen elsewhere.

The inputed images (which may be transfered from any memory card or CD ROM into the kiosk) can be altered with all the basic editing tools which are available on the kiosk itself. However don't expect pleasing results unless the inputed images themselves are of decent quality.

In my opinion anyone who is using a decent 2 Megapixel digicam can expect results just as good if not better than those obtained from a good quality 35 mm point and shoot film camera.

judge9847
08-07-2004, 01:18 AM
If you're in the UK then I can vouch for the quality of the prints from Boots the Chemist which you should find in almost any High Street. A friend of mine had about 80 produced there recently and though most were simply snapshots, there's no way you could tell they were not 35mm film prints.

And they were cheapest too at about 15p per print I think it was but you'd need to check that.

I've seen a small quantity of output from Jessops machines and again, the quality was very good.

Tescos are in the process of putting the machines into a lot of their supermarkets (two locally) though I have to say that the experience of the same friend didn't mark them out as really knowing what they were doing. Maybe down to some staff training requirements.

Also, don't forget your local photography shop. The cost is maybe a wee bit higher but from what I've seen you do get good service and maybe the quality is a little higher. That's just an impression and I've not had any chance to compare.

Finally, all the machines that I've seen seem to be able to read from all types of floppy disks, memory cards and CDs. Can't vouch for DVDs yet but I've no doubt they'll be around soon, if not already.