PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Flashes

Ken.
04-18-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm confused with the mixed message Olympus puts out about its flashes. I have an E-510. It doesn't have wireless flash capability. Whatever that is. I'm guessing that means that a compatible camera can fire the flash wirelessly as a primary flash and share information with the camera. OK. Now if I put an R series flash on the E-510 as a primary will another R series flash wirelessly fire as a secondary unit and share info through the camera mounted flash? Follow me? If not, there's no point in getting R series flashes.

stever06
04-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Ken-
The R series only works with E-3 and E-420. Your stuck with having to use a aftermarket type remote trigger as the camera is whats telling the flash to fire. This seems to be a hardware issue, so a firmware update to add this is highly unlikely. Sucks for us.

Ken.
04-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Olympus hasn't come up with a solid answer on this, either. That's not enough info to consider any of the 50's. It's too expensive to guess. I can get two Metz 48's for the price of one FL-50 anything. Pretty sad for a camera that has prosumer aspirations.

Jim Last
04-26-2008, 05:57 AM
Olympus hasn't come up with a solid answer on this, either. That's not enough info to consider any of the 50's. It's too expensive to guess. I can get two Metz 48's for the price of one FL-50 anything. Pretty sad for a camera that has prosumer aspirations.

Ken,

You can pick up a non-R FL-50 from fotosense for 175 at the moment.

Also look out for them used, I have seen them about for just over 100.

Jim

Ken.
04-26-2008, 06:10 AM
Fortunately I rarely use flash. One FL-50 new runs between 350-400.00 USD. For a bit more I can get 2 Metz 48's. Most of my work is still life so Lowels will do. I've never been keen on popping flashes at people in a studio setting. Outdoors I've been more of a travel light with reflectors kind of guy. But I will need a strobe for those photojournalism moments. It's a crazy amount of money for a flash unit, almost the cost of the camera body.