View Full Version : Osprey

sparkie1263
04-17-2008, 05:18 AM
Osprey with todays dinner.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2142/2419068092_d6842a22c4.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2224/2419067864_40be0b7bb1.jpg

DonSchap
04-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Nice, clear capture, Frank. Guess he saw you focusing, huh?

sparkie1263
04-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks Don
I had to shoot from the car so it didn't take off right away.

DonSchap
04-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Yes,

It is amazing how skittish these large predatory birds are. There is an Osprey nest, up in Northern Wisconsin, that I am quite familiar with .. and every time I go to get an image ... the bird flies the coup. I mean it is hard enough to navigate to where the nest is ... settle the boat and try to snap something without the trees, branches and other obstructions getting in your way. Plus the constant zooming up and down the river by water-skiers and pleasure crafters. The result wakes tossing you all over the darn place! Oh, image stability ... yeah, forget it. Shooting skyward ... you take a hit with your background being a lot brighter than your subject.

I got this shot of the Osprey, up in the nest, with the Canon EOS 20D w/ TAMRON SP AF 500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD lens

EXIF: 500mm @ f/10 - 1/1000 sec - ISO-400 - Ap (@ 3PM, 8/13/2006)

Personally, the Osprey can take flight, in my opinion. They're not all that pretty, that's for sure. I am far more interested in getting the Bald Eagle, who lives only about 1/4-mile away from that Osprey nest, in the tallest tree on the river (figures, huh?). Again, he also gets rattled if you get a little too close, which requires you the use of at least a 200mm or better lens. It's kind of hard to hide ... in a boat ... on a river ... bouncing up and down, riding the waves. LOL :rolleyes:

You can tell, he was "nonchalantly" keeping a wary eye on me ... as I drifted around, pointing that big black Canon at him. LOL

The next opportunity will be this summer, I suspect. I'll take a week and get "the shot." You know ... "the shot" ... that elusive image of your subject that truly defines this bird of prey. The ultimate "action" shot, I suspect. The eagle swooping in, driving it's outstretched talons in for a fish ... or then yanking it out of the river ... soaring skyward ... for lunch.

Anyway, good capture, Frank.

DonSchap
04-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I added a couple shots that were taken 2 years ago, with a Canon EOS 20D, to the above post. I'm hoping to improve on them this year with the SONY α700.

sparkie1263
04-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Nice shots Don. I haven't seen any eagles around here. Only eagle's fans.LOL I live near Philly. And I have no interest in shooting any of them. LOL I just set up a bird feeder in the back yard. I hope to see the woodpecker I have been seeing. I really like the Kingfisher's I see while fishing. I can't wait to try and get some shots of them.
Thanks again
Frank

DonSchap
04-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Like I mentioned, it is the difficulty involved in getting these shots that makes them worthwhile. Technically, my work was average, at best. A land-based shot would have been sharper, I'm certain, but floating around on a high-traffic river is a royal pain! LOL Trying desperately to keep from getting your rig wet and ruined.

Anyway ... next time.

Good luck with your planned attempts.