PDA

View Full Version : Raw Conversion

Ken.
04-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Just curious: what is anyone using to convert RAW?

I use Mac's and Lightroom for RAW conversion (to DNG). It does an excellent job. I've tested RAW conversion using Apple's converters. Equally nice but I'm an Adobe kind of guy. Master 2 is a bit slow and a bit too lightweight.

raven15
04-15-2008, 11:35 PM
No... does Photoshop come with raw converters or do you have to get a plug-in? I recently took some raw shots and would like to try them out.

Ken.
04-16-2008, 04:02 AM
Yes and yes. The current RAW plugin is Camera Raw 4.4.1. Depending on the version of Adobe you may have an older plugin that does not support your camera. This will also update Bridge. You can get the latest one here: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

One of the great options is that Adobe ACR can convert RAW ORF to DNG. The advantage to this is no XMP sidecar files to get disconnected (it's contained within the DNG). I've used DNG's for all RAW work and I strongly believe in this approach. Think of DNG as the great common denominator. There is no one RAW standard. DNG is RAW.

If you're using a Mac with Leopard, OS X can open ORF in Preview and probably iPhoto.