PDA

View Full Version : Head Shot Help

alibaba
04-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I've recently gotten into taking head shots for actor friends. On line I noticed the current look is dark background and a very light foreground. I usually prefer to shoot with natural light (the less I have to take tot the shoot the better).

I have noticed that head shots have that "popped" look on faces and in the eyes. I've only been able to get that sometimes with a bounce card, or using PS in post.

Does anyone have any advice on how to consistently get that popped effect when shooting outdoors with changing light? is there a range of shutter speed and f-stop that generally works?

alibaba
04-14-2008, 03:37 PM
I know this is a rather open question as environmental lighting will always change. Is there a ratio I should consider?

GaryS
04-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Do you have an example of the effect you are trying for?

alibaba
04-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Here's some examples - I think they used just a bounce card though. But there is a richness in color I'm missing in my shots that these have.

tyb
04-17-2008, 12:53 PM
I would try to get the light to come in from an angle, as opposed to straight on. That will create slight, very soft shadows that will give the image a 3-d look and helps it 'pop' off the page.

alibaba
04-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks tyb! I'll experiment with that.

T06
04-18-2008, 04:23 AM
ali the pic on the left of the guy is very bright lighting from below & slightly in front to eliminate shadow & wrinkles too if you need to know.;)