PDA

View Full Version : Lens made in China vs Japan

Don Kondra
04-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Greetings,

Have been doing a lot of studying on Olympus Zuiko lenses and can't ever remember reading a review of manufacturing location, ie. China vs Japan.

In this day and age I would hope both/all their plants would have the same standards?

There is nothing I can find on their main American site and if I remember correctly most retailers don't list the location or it is in the small print...

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Don

Ken.
04-13-2008, 10:15 AM
In a perfect world I'd like all my lenses to be hand made by the finest craftsmen using the best materials possible. I'm concerned by the manufacturing shift since (some locations) have an unproven track record of quality and reliability. I'm taking a leap of faith that the Olympus quality I had with the OM will be the same with the E-510. So far, it seems to be. Time will tell.

Don Kondra
04-16-2008, 06:03 PM
I have noticed that the 14-42, 3.5 is made in China and the 14-54, 2.8 is made in Japan.

The 40-150, 4.0 is made in China and the 40-150, 3.5 is made in Japan.

And lets not forget, my E-510 is made in China :)

Cheers, Don

SpecialK
04-16-2008, 07:10 PM
It does not matter. There are good and bad factories in all countries. And in those factories, there are good and bad products. And in each of those products, there are better and worse copies.

Don Kondra
04-16-2008, 07:20 PM
So, I take it you are a "the glass is half emply" kinda person? :D

Cheers, Don

Ken.
04-16-2008, 08:10 PM
It's a strange thing. Over the years we've come to associate the quality of the camera, the lens and the location as one. For instance a Rollei 35 (an old favorite of mine) made in Germany tends to have a higher collectable value than the ones made in Singapore. A more up to date example would be the current Leica and Panasonic twins. Is the Leica D-Lux 3 so substantially different than the Panasonic LX-2 that it commands such a premium price? In this case it's more of a name issue but the concept holds. Like I stated, time will tell if an E-510 holds up as well as an OM.