PDA

View Full Version : choose A80 or A75 now or wait for A80 replacement?

jakubusa
08-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Got a trip coming up on Sept 10.

I can get an A75 for $200 (buy.com with 10% off)
I cannot get the A80 for less than $280 (Computer Giants)

I really like the swiveling display of the A80.
I really like the good movie mode of the A75.

I'd really rather get the successor of the A80.

But I am leaving in a bit more than a month and I do not want to spend more than $250 for the camera itself. Gotta budget another $100 for the case, charger+batteries and CF card. $350 is my total budget.

So I am thinking if they release the A90 (or whatever they call it), the A80/A75 price should drop to a point where the drawbacks don't seem so bad.

Does anyone know the release schedule and any thoughts on pricing in the next few weeks? The A80 used to be cheaper several weeks ago.

Thanks!

Hadoken
08-05-2004, 04:17 PM
I've had a A75 for a few days and love it, and I'm not trying to sway your decision, but if you have a Officemax near you this is worth a try.

Officemax has the A75 for $199.00 IN STORE ONLY, and only this week (ends Saturday at closing) and this coupon ends August 6th, so it should be good for tomorrow.

I went to Officemax and got the A75 and they matched this staples coupon for $30 off $150 or more, so the camera was $169.00 plus tax.
http://e.staples-deals.com/StaplesCoupon/default.asp?a=376%CA&e=%3A1%3C1645&c=5945140798248457&g=upuqp%FE&t=v%B0
No guarantees if you Officemax will accept the coupon, and it seems like not all of the Officemax's even have the A75's.

D70FAN
08-05-2004, 09:29 PM
But I am leaving in a bit more than a month and I do not want to spend more than $250 for the camera itself. Gotta budget another $100 for the case, charger+batteries and CF card. $350 is my total budget.

So I am thinking if they release the A90 (or whatever they call it), the A80/A75 price should drop to a point where the drawbacks don't seem so bad.

Does anyone know the release schedule and any thoughts on pricing in the next few weeks? The A80 used to be cheaper several weeks ago.

Thanks!

We haven't even seen a successor to the A80. $199 is about as low as the A75 will probably go, except in the refurb market. The A80 and it's successor will probably stay above $250. By September 10 you will miss a lot of great pictures waiting for the price to go down $30.

Think about it.

Hadoken
08-06-2004, 06:56 AM
I was thinking about waiting for the A80 to drop in price but a few people told me that it won't drop in price because it isn't even in production anymore, they're just using up what is in the warehouses. I don't know if they're right, but I'm not gonna wait and take a risk of missing so many great pictures the summer and fall give.

scottyja
08-06-2004, 12:53 PM
I ordered an A80 two weeks ago, and it's still on backorder. I really hope they're not stopping production. I haven't paid yet, but they say when it comes in, they'll charge me and ship it. Half the sites on pricegrabber or resellerratings that say they have it in stock really don't. I started calling anyone w/ the A80 under $300, and couldn't find one in stock. All the major stores (Ritz camera, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Circuit City, etc...) here in Tucson, AZ are out of stock, as well; no one will give me a straight answer! They either say they're out or they're "waiting for more to come in". So I'm just crossing my fingers that the ePhotoCraft, whom I bought from for $270, is good on their word for getting some in (they said "late this week"). We'll see!

zoodany
08-06-2004, 03:48 PM
I have the A75 and I'm very satisfied.. It's sure a good choice..
You can look some of my pics at www.zoodany.it , to have an idea of what you can do with it..

zoodany..
www.zoodany.it

jakubusa
08-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Thanks for all your input.

I have decided that the VGA movie mode is quite important to me (I will not be buying a video camera anytime soon), so that rules out the A80.

The A95 has just been announced (link (http://www.photographyblog.com/weblog.php?id=0) ) which looks fantastic, but it will not be available until September. Also, I am sure its price will be around $400 initially, as the A85 now sells for about $300.

So, if I had time and more money to spend, I'd definitely wait for the A95 with the larger swivel LCD and VGA video...

But for my situation, I think the A75 will perform quite fine, I still have my Minolta 7000i SLR for serious photography. Its attractive price point will still fit my budget (still a bit above $200 at buy.com with 10% coupon I received by email). In addition, I am getting the 512MB Kingston CF from buy.com for $45 after rebate. The charger I am getting is the MAHA MH-C401FS with 4 2300 mAh NIMHs for $48. Add in the soft case and I will stay well within my $350 target with a very decent set.

Maybe this will help someone with their decision making.. :)

Euan
08-23-2004, 02:50 AM
The a85 is also now out although not seen it.

Ausin
08-23-2004, 04:12 AM
One thing everyone mentions (for A95 and A80) is the VGA mode for video recording, but the VGA mode although has higher resolution it can only do 10fps and 30 Second duration (as oppose to 15fps and 3min for the lower resolution mode). Quite a trade off I think, something to bear in mind....

Ausin

Rhys
08-23-2004, 06:18 AM
One thing everyone mentions (for A95 and A80) is the VGA mode for video recording, but the VGA mode although has higher resolution it can only do 10fps and 30 Second duration (as oppose to 15fps and 3min for the lower resolution mode). Quite a trade off I think, something to bear in mind....

Ausin

I don't really see why the A95 is limited to 30secs at 10fps for VGA when I can do 8 minutes at 30fps with VGA on the S1.

Actually, it might be worth looking at the S1. It's around about the same price.

If you're going to do video, believe me, you'll need a LOT of memory card space. - 2mb/second!

jakubusa
08-24-2004, 11:39 PM
I don't really see why the A95 is limited to 30secs at 10fps for VGA when I can do 8 minutes at 30fps with VGA on the S1.

Actually, it might be worth looking at the S1. It's around about the same price.

If you're going to do video, believe me, you'll need a LOT of memory card space. - 2mb/second!

You know what? You're right! Just as I was about to place my order, I reconsidered, and went for the S1. I had to upgrade the CF card to a Lexar 12X so that it would still work with the S1 IS in best movie mode. Again, the best deal was to be found at buy.com using my 10% discount ($314). I gave up the nice charger and selected the SONY BCG-34HRMD4 Super Quick Charger instead to save money. I will need to find a case that fits this camera, which is very hard (I really want it to be as small as possible and they just don't make them for square shaped cameras).

I rationalize my decision with the really superior movie mode (somehow I did not realize that 30fps would make such a difference until I saw some samples) with zoom capability while filming, not even the A95 can compete here. Also, the S1 will accept microdrives, so that in the future its memory can be expanded further. If I wanted to get into movies - I think short movies with sound will add a lot to travel impressions - I'd have to spend several hundred dollars more for yet another piece to lug around. And video cameras are not good today at shooting stills, at least not yet. I am aware that you cannot shoot long movies at high quality, but that's no problem.

Overall, this has been a really agonizing decision, going back and forth, and impatiently waiting for news on the new models. I was never in doubt, however, that it would be a Canon Powershot, the reviews are simply great. I am just relieved the order is in, and I will have time to charge the batteries a few times before my trip. I only hope I will not need to perform the firmware upgrade... :)

Thanks again for posting on this board, I learn more every day.