PDA

View Full Version : Could I ask some advise?

Helen
04-06-2008, 04:09 PM
I shoot with an Olympus E400. I have recently acquired a tripod and FL-50 flash gun and a gold light reflector.

I have been asked to do some baby photography for at least three Mums. I am doing this for experience as they are friends.

As these shoots are being done at the home of the baby as it were, can you advise what would be the best way to do the shoot.

Should I bring a white sheet for background and also would it be a good idea to shoot Mum and baby near a window for natural night. (It will be too cold to go outside) I have a few ideas on how to do pose the Mum and baby and I am sure Mum might have ideas herself which would be great. Should I use the flash gun or just go for natural light?

With the Oly 400 should I shoot only in RAW or could I do both RAW and jpeg? Should I live the E400 in Portrait Mode or go for manual (which is kinda scary for me)

So any tips help and advise really appreciated.

Helen

tim11
04-06-2008, 04:43 PM
---

Should I bring a white sheet for background and also would it be a good idea to shoot Mum and baby near a window for natural night. --
Be careful with white, it will reflect badly. I'd choose a softer colour.

kgosden
04-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Well, you got the top end Oly flash, but more important is what lenses do you have? Do you know anything about the size of the spaces you will be shooting in? Try to keep the subjects a few feet from any walls and bounce the flash off the ceiling or reflector.

fotogmarc
04-07-2008, 09:09 AM
If you're using a single flash and a reflector, it would be best to get a book on portrait photography, it can be tricky.

Youtube also has some decent short tutorials. Search for 'photography'

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out.

Helen
04-07-2008, 01:09 PM
I never thought of Youtube so will look into that later.

Thanks

erichlund
04-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Your idea to use natural light is a good one. Another resource would be to google baby pictures, just to get lots of ideas.

Ken.
04-11-2008, 06:41 AM
I'd go with program mode, continuous focus, RAW+JPEG. (I'm not familiar with all the options on the 400.) RAW gives you a bit of latitude on editing/corrections. Lighting depends on which side mum holds the baby and how she's positioned. Generally 3/4 front, about 30% higher than mum's head. Make a reflector out of cardboard and foil to fill in the dark areas. It never hurts to have a reflector in your kit and they're not expensive to buy. One light shooting takes a bit of planning.

The best way to practice lighting is a wig head and a flashlight/desk lamp. In my studio days I would add a clamp light to the umbrella setup to act as a modeling light. Babies are not easy, you have to shoot fast!