PDA

View Full Version : Some of my Portrait work

Helen
04-04-2008, 06:57 AM
I would be interested in doing portrait work hopefully and so I thought I would show some of my work.

This first picture was for a challenge competition at my camera club entitled "Eyes" This is my daughter Rowena
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2312/2041731372_5c6b7ecd71.jpg

Helen
04-04-2008, 07:00 AM
This is Maria the daughter of a friend of mine.

I worked on this in Photoshop Elements.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2365/2248864607_3a6ec9011f.jpg

Helen
04-04-2008, 07:02 AM
This is my friend's Mum Lily and also Maria's Granny. I admit that I didn't fix her left eye properly in Photoshop.

All C&C welcome - I would really value your opinions.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/2248862687_2c5b7e0103.jpg

kgosden
04-04-2008, 07:41 AM
I like the second shot best. I think that the blur is far to excessive in the first photo. My main issue is that the eyes are not in sharp focus. And the fact that one eye is more out of focus than the other is jarring to me.

Helen
04-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Thank you kgosden

I did the blur in Picasa just to highklight the eyes. I have to admit I do love the second shot myself.

Thanks for your imput its much appreciated.

stever06
04-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Helen-
These are nice portraits. Here's how I would tweak :
#1- I would lighten the eye whites a little and sharpen the iris edges to pop them a little. Then I would try to even and smooth the skin tone a touch. There seems to a blur imbalance from left to right side of face, especially the highlighted hair on left. If this was an added effect, I'd bring it back closer to in focus to discern strands like the right side.
#2- I like the mood this shows. I would only crop in to eliminate the books on the right as much as possible.
#3- The only thing I would do here is center the oval over the head. If you were trying to keep the hands in the frame, try going rounder.

These comments are what *I* would do to make them more pleasing to my eye artistically, but I'm by no means an expert on this.

Ken.
04-15-2008, 04:02 AM
Nice style there! If you're using a one light rig I'd use a reflector. In Picture 1 the lighting is a tick too head on and the shadow under the chin is a bit too defined. Nothing that a little Photoshop magic couldn't adjust. Picture 2 is a keeper. It's an interesting old/new effect. The picture is a classic framing, almost timeless. The scissor mechanism I'd be tempted to Photoshop out but it adds a line bringing the focus back to the child. Picture 3 is a tough one because the background is busy and gran is a bit shiny. I'd desaturate the background a bit, I think. It would take some interesting masking to pull that one off. Then again, it's a perfectly real shot. Location doesn't always work for us. Sigh.

Rooz
04-15-2008, 05:08 AM
#1 is too blurry and its actually out of focus. i dont think any portrait works if the eyes are not sharp.

#2 a beautiful shot. i dont think the blue yes add anything to the shot and are quite distracting. i'd like to see this in plain mono. i'd also go against the grain and say i'd prefer to have seen it framed with all of the books to give it context.

#3 not keen on the border.

imo you've applied a little too much photoshop to these. sometimes the best portraits are the simplest ones without much editing at all.