PDA

View Full Version : Resizing Images

sparkie1263
04-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Does resizing your images affect the image quality? What is a good size to save your images at?
Thanks
Frank

DonSchap
04-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Personally, I save the desired originals at their original size.

I use the original to create the presentation image ... and when I have modified the way I want ... I reduce it to 800x600, JPEG the image and post it. Sometimes, if it isn't all that important, I drop it to 600x400. It can be a cumbersome library, but the images are true to their characteristics.

Remember: Reduction is a one way trip ... so you best make certain it is where you want to be, in the future.

David Metsky
04-03-2008, 08:33 PM
It depends. :) (Don't you hate when people say that?)

Most P&S cameras take pictures in JPG format. This is lossy, meaning that if you resave multiple times you will end up losing information. It's a good idea to keep the originals straight out of the camera. They have the most information, and the best image quality. Even if you edit (crop, resize, color correct) it's a good idea to keep the originals.

I always shoot in the highest resolution, highest quality. I never know when I'll take the perfect shot, I want to have the most information that I can.

If you are shooting RAW you have much more flexibility. Are you shooting RAW?

sparkie1263
04-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I have all my images saved on my main computer and on my laptop. I just want another backup I can take with me. I tried using DVD RW's but I don't trust them. How much image quality is lost by saving them at 800x600? I just filled a 4 gig jump drive and I have only been taking pictures since Christmas. I might just buy a mini 500 gig hard drive. Does anybody use an Ipod or similar device.

DonSchap
04-03-2008, 09:08 PM
I tried using an EPSON 3000 ... but found it made a better presentation tool, than a 40 GB backup drive unit. I'm preparing to invest in DVD-Rs and just filling them half full as I go, storing them in a volume. It's cheap ... and I don't overflow. I have always felt that DVD-RWs are risky to play with ... as an archival tool. ;)

Don't forget to make low-tech prints of your favorite stuff, because one day ... yeah, even DVDs will go the way of eight-track cartridges, cassette tapes, 5 1/4" and 3.5" floppies.

sparkie1263
04-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Why half full?? I don't shoot in RAW often. I was going to buy an Archos Wifi 160 gig video hard drive to store all my edited images on. I have too many thing I want and don't know which to get first.
Thanks again
Frank

David Metsky
04-03-2008, 09:43 PM
800x600 is extremely low quality compared to a full 8 or 10 MP image. Frankly, IMO, it's not worth having at backup at that quality.

DonSchap
04-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Just the disks half full. I like providing room for future ideas. 2.5 GB for images ... 2.5 GB for future crap.