PDA

View Full Version : Night photography

Helen
03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
I took this shot at the Sky Fest for St. Patrick's weekend in Cashel. This is the Rock of Cashel. As you can see its not a great shot and there is camera blur as I didn't have my tripod then (have since purchased one)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2079/2353614654_7938e6c262.jpg

I used the Night mode in the E400 but I just wonder could I achieve better results in manual and can the E400 take a picture that would be as good as this shot (not taken by me by the way!)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/2378887308_cbc86446af_o.jpg

Same venue and the same night. Can the Olympus achieve as good a result (even with help in Photoshop)

toriaj
03-31-2008, 06:22 PM
The Olympus absolutely can take that picture. You already have the most important thing -- a tripod. The rest is just understanding the settings to use. Night photography is so much fun, keep at it, ask any questions that you have!

Helen
03-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Thats good to know thanks toriaj now all I need are the settings

toriaj
03-31-2008, 07:18 PM
Well, the settings differ with each location & time of shooting. But the first one to think about is shutter speed. It looks like your scene is a moving light show. So if you wanted to "freeze" the motion, you'd probably use a short shutter speed, 1/250 sec would be plenty, 1/125 might be enough. If you wanted to show the movement in the lights with some motion blur, you'd pick a long shutter speed, 1/60 or longer.

Next you would think about your aperture (the hole that lets light into the camera.) In this situation, I would probably try the largest aperture (smallest number) and then look at the LCD to see if the picture was as bright as I wanted. (You could also look at the histogram.) For example, maybe the largest aperture on my lens was f/4. If the LCD looked too bright, I would choose a smaller aperture, maybe f/8. If it looked too dark, I would either choose a longer shutter speed (although that might introduce motion blur) or bump up the ISO (but that would introduce extra noise into the image.)

I hope that makes sense. You might want to go out into your town at night and try some night shots just to experiment. Start with your ISO at its lowest (ISO 100 on your camera, I think.) Put the camera on the tripod and experiment!