PDA

View Full Version : Macro photos on the cheap?

plantrob
03-25-2008, 04:09 PM
When I bought my E-510, I also looked at the macro lenses, but stuck with the two-lens kit for the time being, since they cost a pretty penny. I would eventually like to do some macro photography though, and am trying to understand my options. For my old Canon A95 P&S, I purchased a "closeup lens" with adapter, which was nothing more than a flat filter-like screw-on piece (is that what's called a "diopter"?). In a flower photography book I recently read, the author also mentions using a "simple closeup diopter". Is this a suitable alternative to the full macro lens option?
Sorry for the grand display of ignorance - just entering the world of "real cameras" ;)

toriaj
03-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Maybe those diopters are the same thing as conversion lenses? I have the Raynox DCR-250 (http://www.amazon.com/Raynox-Macro-Scan-Conversion-Universal-Diameters/dp/B0002YBXBY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1206483768&sr=8-2). It might work on your camera.

stever06
03-25-2008, 05:38 PM
plantrob-
Here's what I've found so far in my new venture in the DSLR world:
1) The macro filters (apochromatics usually found in sets of +1,+3,+4) are the cheapest and the worst. Serious clarity fall off from the center and prone to lots of CA due to cheap optics.(this may be ok for crop shots)
2) Raynox DCR's (achromatics) do better optic wise, but are still prone to CA. Theses are designed to be used on the tele end of lenses, so you'll have light falloff.
3) Manual extension tubes (Fleabay $20). Manual focus only with no focus lock beep. No optics involved, just light fall off. Good set-up w/tripod and liveview
These are the under $100 options listed worst to best (IMO) from my research so far from samples I've seen (some awesome and some horrid, from each catagory).
Also, you could try to win an OM style lense off ebay cheap. Some of the 50mm are awesome but manual focus again.(and you'll need a OM to 4/3 adapter also)
I'm going for a set of tubes myself, shortly
Hope this helps

fotogmarc
03-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Not sure what your budget is. For under $200 dollars you can get a decent macro lens.
I've used the macro filters and can say for the price you can get some good(not great) shots. I've attached one to give you an idea. No autofocus and without good lighting it's hard to get a handle on mf.

No pp and poor lighting, so I can't really complain. I need to experiment some more :o