PDA

View Full Version : E-510 shots.....

stever06
03-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Since there is so much traffic here, I figured I post a few shots for those that are looking for samples for purchase consideration or general viewing pleasure.

All shot with the 40-150mm kit lense

ISO 1600, near dark
PP'd version. Cropped in a little too tight, lightened,sharpened and a pass thru Neat Image. Looks good in 5X7 print. I never would have got this with my p&s cameras

plantrob
03-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Great shots, stever06! I recently purchased my E-510, specifically for flower and garden photography, so the photos are particularly relevant and inspiring! I actually came here to ask what the best direction to go is for macro photography, but you got these with just the kit lens. Do you have any recommendations for settings to best capture your flower images? Manual focus vs. automatic? Mode selection vs. all-manual? I admit to only routinely playing with aperture priority, and leaving the rest on autopilot for the most part...
I'll still ask the macro question in a separate thread :)

stever06
03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Plantrob-
These were all shot in Ap mode. I shoot at the longest end of the 40-150 to keep the background nice and blurred, but you'll be about 3ft away and I use autofocus unless on tripod. Thanks for comments and keep posting. It's dead around here.

p.s.- I've been shooting since Dec, so I'm in the learning mode myself

Phill D
03-28-2008, 01:21 AM
Hi guys you are right it is pretty quiet round here so I'll ask you for some comments. I've been pondering getting a dslr for some time now and have been very close to buying a twin lens E510 kit with the current price drop. I particularly like the light weight. Can you post your thoughts/experiences on using the camera. Feel free to post images, Steve those shots were nice to see as I like taking macro shots too amongst other things. I'm in no rush to buy & may wait for the E520 depending on price/deals etc, so I would be particularly interested in aspects that you think Olympus could improve on that may be changed in the E520.

stever06
03-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Phill-
This is a great cam for the price, especially with the 2 lense kit. I followed people's reactions and tests since it's release. The price drop in Oct. 07 here in the states prompted me to buy it and bin the FZ-18 I had been shooting for 2 months (though I liked it) because of DOF control I was wanting and also better noise handling.
I find this camera overall pleasing to use, interface and button placement wise. Brand critics are quick to point out that it's noisy because of it's smaller sensor, but that's comparing DSLR vs DSLR, not DSLR to p&s. Sure, noise starts creeping in at ISO 400, but compared to a p&s, it's night and day. I only have 2 peeves about this camera. 1) It's prone to clipping highlights, so running -EV is normal (my fuji does this also, so I'm used to it). 2) You have to install Olympus Master software, so you can update your firmware.
As for the E-520, I think it will be the same, except it will tweak the sensor for better noise handling at higher ISO's and add the Shadow Adjustment Technology of the E-3, to increase dynamic range.
Let me know of any particular specifics you would like addressed as I tend to ramble too much, I'll be glad to answer with to the best of my experience.

Phill D
03-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Thanks Steve. Don't worry about rambling this section could do with some posts. The lack of dynamic range & highlight clipping criticisms in some of the reviews were a bit of a concern & as you suggest if Oly improve on them then it would be a good step forward is it worth the extra cash - will have to see. I'd be interested in any user comments you have. How is the viewfinder to use many people have said its small & difficult. Also how easy is the depth of field preview to use? that is one of the functions I think I'll use a lot. I haven't been able to get my hands on one in a shop they seem to be a bit scarce at the moment but I did manage to grab a few minutes at an airport recently with the E410 & that seemed very slow. It was in live view mode though & I didn't have time to work out how to set it up differently as the salesperson was useless & they were calling my plane.

stever06
03-29-2008, 05:57 AM
Phill-
Here's my take:
1) DOF preview- I don't use it, I use the test picture option to check metering and WB. All you do (for both) is hold the Fn button (with thumb)the same time you depress the shutter release.

2) OVF- The complaint (IMO) is from people reviewing or shooting other systems. Coming from an EVF, I find the 510 OVF nice and refreshing and I don't see a problem with it ,and I"m not comparing it with the competition.

3)Liveview- This is best used on a tripod or shooting wierd angles where OVF use is precarious. I don't use it that much as it does slow down the whole process from press to capture, but it is useful for legacy MF lenses to check focus.
Also , the DR issue is a JPEG issue and shooting RAW will allow a much better recovery of shadow detail.
Have a great weekend, I'm going to a preserve and give the Sig a go at some gators and herons

raven15
03-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Coming from an E-410, but its very similar.

Clipping highlights: it does do this. I shoot at contrast -2 and underexpose (either on purpose or not) and then use a combination of gamma correction and contrast to get the shot right later. This isn't as much work as it sounded like and by no means is it required, because I do that to most of my stuff anyhow. The downside is, if you try to bring up a deep shadow you will get significant noise at anything over ISO 200 long before the contrast and exposure seem right. Meaning, you will have dynamic range to spare in the dark side, but using it is not easy. Not a serious issue, you just have to be careful with high contrasts.

Fully automatic exposure can be strange at times, if you do that. I keep mine on center-spot, to make it predictable.

Live view isn't that useful.

Do I recommend the camera? Highly. E-520? It will probably be better, depends on your budget. I will wait for the first E-400 series to have IS before I upgrade. If that never happens... well... maybe E-500 series.

speaklightly
03-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks, Steve-

Your E-510 photo samples are very useful, as I am indeed seriously considering the Olympus E-510.

Sarah Joyce

Phill D
03-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Thanks everyone just what I wanted some good hands on user experience. I still haven't found a local shop with one in for me to try out.