PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at Concerts?

bstyle
03-23-2008, 06:15 AM
I'll be going to an indoor concert later this week and was hoping to get some tips on how to get some decent shots.

I've tried before (using a lesser camera - I just got a Powershot G9) and it seemed like everything turned out blurry or cloudy.

Concerts seem like a tough combination - typically very dark with changing lighting conditions on stage, lots of movement, and no chance of using a tripod. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks! Happy Easter!

ghost
03-23-2008, 04:28 PM
this is when a DSLR and a prime lens shines. good luck! the only thing you can do is boost the ISO, and try to keep the shutter speed relatively fast. make sure your white balance is correct aswell

David Metsky
03-24-2008, 08:36 AM
He doesn't have a dSLR, he has a Canon G9. Open the aperture as much as you can, set the ISO to 200 (maybe push to 400 if it's still too dark) and shoot in burst mode. If you take lots, some will be good. Unless you are close to the stage your flash will be useless.

Concert_Junkie
04-14-2008, 03:52 AM
Hello everyone, as you can see I'm new here and have a question about settings for my camera's. I have a Konica Minolta DiMage Z3 and a Canon Powershot SD700 and need to know what to set them on for concert pictures for indoors and outdoors? The concerts that I go to are lots of lights and the performers move around a lot. I am ususally in the front few rows and some of them have a "T" stage set up. I usually only get about 2 dozen good ones out of 200+ pictures. I can't use a tripod either, any info would be AWESOME!!!!!!! I am looking into getiing the new Canon Powershot S6 or S7 IS when it comes out whichever one they decide to come out with!!!

David Metsky
04-14-2008, 07:13 AM
You don't have many options on the SD750. I don't think there are any scene modes that will help you here.

If you are too far from the stage for the flash to be useful (that's pretty much anything beyond 15 feet) you'll need to shoot with available light. That means you will have to push the ISO higher (400 would probably the limit on that camera), use continuous shooting mode, and take lots of shots. It's a pure P&S, there really aren't many settings that will help you.

Concert_Junkie
04-14-2008, 07:04 PM
You don't have many options on the SD750. I don't think there are any scene modes that will help you here.

If you are too far from the stage for the flash to be useful (that's pretty much anything beyond 15 feet) you'll need to shoot with available light. That means you will have to push the ISO higher (400 would probably the limit on that camera), use continuous shooting mode, and take lots of shots. It's a pure P&S, there really aren't many settings that will help you.

Thanks David, what camera do you suggest for concerts with lots of movement and lots of lights? I haven't figured out which one would be the best, it can't be a one that's professional looking. Any suggestions from other people are welcomed. Oh yeah what about the Konica Minolta DiMage Z3 any suggestions for concerts with that??????

reppans
04-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Jagger at Giants Stadium, Fall 2006, handheld shot with a Canon S230 (3MP, 2002, automatic P&S).

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/130/355440650_db7a5c6e50_b.jpg

General guidelines (some David M. mentions):
-Set ISO at 200 or 400
-Turn all light sources off (flash, LCD, auto-focus assist beam, preview) as you're usually not allowed to take pix at concerts and any camera light source will be a dead give-away, annoying to your neighbors and disturbing to the performers.
-Shoot using the optical view finder only, with arms tight to body and camera pressed to forehead (think, rifle with scope), this is the steadiest hold possible.
-Shoot between a -1 and -2 exposure compensation. 1) the picture is supposed to be dark and 2) this will buy you a bit faster shutter speed for less blur.
-Take lots of pics and plan to delete a lot.

Even better is using a manual camera, with the above guidelines, in aperture priority (largest aperture). A Canon A series with good zoom (6x or more) and optical image stabilization would help a lot. A650IS with the larger sensor, or the A720IS for a smaller, cheaper camera.

reneec
04-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi there,

I am looking for some advice for taking photos at concerts.

I have a Sony SLR-A200 with both a 18-70 and an 75 - 300 mm lens.

This weekend i am taking photos at a day/night concert and have access to the front of the stage. I have taken photos at big concerts before but am still relatively inexperienced so sort of just wing it and end up with a few goodies out of a heap of blurry photos.

Any tips for shooting with this camera in a night time concert situation? There will be lots of movement, lights, possibly fireworks etc...

I know adjusting the ISO will help but any other advice is appreciated, thanks :)

tim11
04-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Hello Reneec,
I don't have A700 but in principle shooting in low light is the same. I don't think flash will be of much use unless you are the band photographer.
If you will be sitting at the front row, the 17-70 will be the primary lens. The 75-300 will only restrict you to close up of band members.
Raising ISO only if you have to because higher ISO mean lower image quality. Normally, I always use Aperture mode and use maximum aperture possible (the smallest F number) and will only raise the ISO if the shutter is lesser than my liking. The sufficient shutter speed for concert depends on what type of music they play. For slower music you may get away with 1/60 second but for heavy metal types you may need to get 1/200 sec or 1/300 sec.

Please post a few shots later.

btuner
04-22-2008, 09:13 PM
you need to talk to this guy he does some great concert work!

dxrocnxj